This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Demonstration of RCCI in Heavy-Duty Engines using Diesel and Natural Gas
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Premixed combustion concepts like PCCI and RCCI have attracted much attention, since these concepts offer possibilities to reduce engine out emissions to a low level, while still achieving good efficiency. Most RCCI studies use a combination of a high-cetane fuel like diesel, and gasoline as low-cetane fuel. Limited results have been published using natural gas as low-cetane fuel; especially full scale engine results. This study presents results from an experimental study of diesel-CNG RCCI operation on a 6 cylinder, 8 l heavy duty engine with cooled EGR. This standard Tier4f diesel engine was equipped with a gas injection system, which used single point injection and mixed the gaseous fuel with air upstream of the intake manifold. For this engine configuration, RCCI operating limits have been explored. In the 1200-1800 rpm range, RCCI operation with Euro-VI engine out NOx and soot emissions was achieved between 2 and 9 bar BMEP without EGR. Corresponding hydrocarbon levels were high, but exhaust temperature levels hold promise for a suitable reduction through catalytic aftertreatment. Thermal efficiency was comparable to or better than diesel operation. In the load ranges tested, gas Methane Number (MN) variations between 70 and 100 have only a small effect on RCCI performance.
CitationDoosje, E., Willems, F., and Baert, R., "Experimental Demonstration of RCCI in Heavy-Duty Engines using Diesel and Natural Gas," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1318, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1318.
- Kalghatgi , G. , Risberg , P. , and Ångström , H. Advantages of Fuels with High Resistance to Auto-ignition in Late-injection, Low-temperature, Compression Ignition Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-3385 2006 10.4271/2006-01-3385
- Manente , V. , Johansson , B. , and Tunestal , P. Partially Premixed Combustion at High Load using Gasoline and Ethanol, a Comparison with Diesel SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0944 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0944
- Doosje , E. , Willems , F. , Baert , R. , and Van Dijk , M. Experimental Study into a Hybrid PCCI/CI Concept for Next-Generation Heavy-Duty Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1114 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1114
- Inagaki , K. , Fuyuto , T. , Nishikawa , K. , Nakakita , K. et al. Dual-Fuel PCI Combustion Controlled by In-Cylinder Stratification of Ignitability SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0028 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0028
- Leermakers , C. , Somers , L. , and Johansson , B. Combustion Phasing Controllability with Dual Fuel Injection Timings SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1575 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1575
- Han , X. , Xie , K. , Zheng , M. , and De Ojeda , W. Ignition Control of Gasoline-Diesel Dual Fuel Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1972 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1972
- Curran , S. , Prikhodko , V. , Cho , K. , Sluder , C. et al. In-Cylinder Fuel Blending of Gasoline/Diesel for Improved Efficiency and Lowest Possible Emissions on a Multi-Cylinder Light-Duty Diesel Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2206 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2206
- Eichmeier , J. et al. Ottomotorischer Selbstzündung mit Diesel Piloteinspritzung Motortechnische Zeitschrift 04/2013 April 2013
- Kokjohn , S. , Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , and Reitz , R. Experiments and Modeling of Dual-Fuel HCCI and PCCI Combustion Using In-Cylinder Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Engines 2 2 24 39 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2647
- Nieman , D. , Dempsey , A. , and Reitz , R. Heavy-Duty RCCI Operation Using Natural Gas and Diesel SAE Int. J. Engines 5 2 270 285 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0379
- Lewander , M. , Ekholm , K. , Johansson , B. , Tunestål , P. et al. Investigation of the Combustion Characteristics with Focus on Partially Premixed Combustion in a Heavy Duty Engine SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 1063 1074 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1658
- Kokjohn , S. , Hanson , R. , Splitter , D. , Kaddatz , J. et al. Fuel Reactivity Controlled Compression Ignition (RCCI) Combustion in Light- and Heavy-Duty Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 360 374 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0357
- Doosje , E. Limits of mixture dilution in gas engines PhD Thesis Eindhoven University of Technology 2010
- Chang , J. , Güralp , O. , Filipi , Z. , Assanis , D. et al. New Heat Transfer Correlation for an HCCI Engine Derived from Measurements of Instantaneous Surface Heat Flux SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-2996 2004 10.4271/2004-01-2996
- Prikhodko , V. , Curran , S. , Barone , T. , Lewis , S. et al. Emission Characteristics of a Diesel Engine Operating with In-Cylinder Gasoline and Diesel Fuel Blending SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 2 946 955 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2266
- Willems , F. , Doosje , E. , Engels , F. , and Seykens , X. Cylinder Pressure-Based Control in Heavy-Duty EGR Diesel Engines Using a Virtual Heat Release and Emission Sensor SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0564 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0564