This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Characterization of SACI Combustion for Use in Model Based Controls
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Spark Assisted Compression Ignition (SACI) aims to increase the load limit of homogeneous charge compression ignition (HCCI) engines, enabling the benefits of dilute combustion over a larger engine operation range. Compared to HCCI, SACI exhibits higher cyclic variation of several combustion features. Due to the necessity of control of the timing of the auto-ignition event during SACI operation, a suitable characterization of the combustion at a given set of actuator inputs is required to enable robust model-based controls of combustion.
This paper investigates statistical approaches to analyze in-cylinder pressure data of SACI in order to find a real or reconstructed cycle that will represent the important characteristics of combustion. To determine the representativeness of such a cycle, several combustion characteristics were compared that could serve as operational limits. The statistical approaches contain both artificial and physical cycles, including mean pressure, median pressure and cycles that were determined by the median value of a certain characteristic.
The analysis first compares the combustion parameters of the selected cycles to the average value of the operating point. Secondly, a linear regression analysis was conducted, allowing the coefficient of determination to be used as a basis for representativeness. The results show that although reconstructing cycles with statistical approaches might adequately represent certain characteristics, averaging may result in significant information loss. Therefore, finding a real cycle representing all of the unique behaviors of an operating point has the possibility of being a better approach for identifying combustion parameters in SACI.
CitationTemel, V. and Sterniak, J., "Characterization of SACI Combustion for Use in Model Based Controls," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1289, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1289.
- Thring , R. Homogeneous-Charge Compression-Ignition (HCCI) Engines SAE Technical Paper 892068 1989 10.4271/892068
- Reuss , D. L. , Kuo , T.-W. , Silvas , G. , Natarajan , V. , & Sick , V. 2008 Experimental Metrics for Identifying Origins of Combustion Variability During Spark-Assisted Compresison Ignition International Journal of Engine Research 409 434
- Persson , H. , Pfeiffer , R. , Hultqvist , A. , Johansson , B. et al. Cylinder-to-Cylinder and Cycle-to-Cycle Variations at HCCI Operation With Trapped Residuals SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0130 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0130
- Wagner , R. , Edwards , K. , Daw , C. , Green , J. et al. On the Nature of Cyclic Dispersion in Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0418 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0418
- Davis , L. , Feldkamp , L. , Hoard , J. , Yuan , F. et al. Controlling Cyclic Combustion Variations in Lean-Fueled Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-0257 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0257
- Dai , W. , Trigui , N. , and Lu , Y. Modeling of Cyclic Variations in Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-2036 2000 10.4271/2000-01-2036
- Ji , C. and Ronney , P. Modeling of Engine Cyclic Variation by a Thermodynamic Model SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-2736 2002 10.4271/2002-01-2736
- Yilmaz , H. , Miersch-Wiemers , O. , & Jiang , L. 2013 Advanced Combustion Concepts - Enabling Systems and Solutions (ACCESS) for High Efficiency Light Duty Vehicles DOE Annual Merit Review. Arlington, VA
- Sjöberg , M. , & Dec , J. E. 2006 Comparing Late-Cycle Autoignition Stability for Single- and Two-Stage Ignition Fuels in HCCI Engines Combustion Institute 2985 2902
- Vavra , J. , Bohac , S. V. , Manofsky , L. , Lavoie , G. , & Assanis , D. 2011 Knock in Various Combustion Modes in a Gasoline-Fueled Automotive Engine ASME 2011 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference Morgantown, West Virginia
- Persson , H. , Hultqvist , A. , Johansson , B. , and Remón , A. Investigation of the Early Flame Development in Spark Assisted HCCI Combustion Using High Speed Chemiluminescence Imaging SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0212 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0212
- Lü , X. , Chen , W. , Hou , Y. , and Huang , Z. Study on the Ignition, Combustion and Emissions of HCCI Combustion Engines Fueled With Primary Reference Fuels SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-0155 2005 10.4271/2005-01-0155
- Manofsky , L. , Vavra , J. , Assanis , D. , and Babajimopoulos , A. Bridging the Gap between HCCI and SI: Spark-Assisted Compression Ignition SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1179 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1179
- Wildman , C. , Scaringe , R. , and Cheng , W. On the Maximum Pressure Rise Rate in Boosted HCCI Operation SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-2727 2009 10.4271/2009-01-2727
- Saxena , S. , Chen , J. , and Dibble , R. Characterization of Ion Signals under Ringing Conditions in an HCCI Engine SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1777 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1777
- Olsson , J. , Tunestål , P. , and Johansson , B. Boosting for High Load HCCI SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-0940 2004 10.4271/2004-01-0940