This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Poultry Fat FAME Biodiesel Blends Characteristics and Performance in an IDI Engine for APU Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This study investigates the combustion, emissions, and performance of biodiesel produced from poultry fat FAME (fatty acid methyl esters) in an indirect injection (IDI) engine. The poultry fat FAME blends were evaluated against ultra-low sulfur diesel #2 (ULSD#2) at 2600 rpm at 100% engine load. The tested biodiesel blends of poultry fat FAME included B20 to B50 measured by weight percentage in ULSD#2. Before engine testing, the energy content, dynamic viscosity, and thermal properties were measured for all poultry fat blends, 100% poultry fat FAME, and ULSD#2. Once the preliminary data had been obtained, it was determined that a blend of up to 50% poultry fat FAME would be within ASTM6751 requirements. The ignition delay stayed constant at 13 CAD for all blends tested and the gross heat release for ULSD#2 and B50 were 24.4 and 25.0 J/deg respectively. The maximum in-cylinder combustion temperature reached 1915K for B20 while combustion duration ranges from 28.4-30.4 CAD for all fuel blends. The total heat flux from the gas to the combustion chamber walls was in the range of 1.5-1.6 MW/m2 and increased as the percentage of FAME increased. The mechanical and overall efficiency was relatively the same for all the poultry fat blends tested at approximately 86% and 30%, respectively. NOX emissions of B50 were similar to ULSD with a value of approximately 3.1 g/kWh in the experimental engine. The soot value for ULSD was 0.3 g/kWh and decreased by 30% for B50. The study suggests poultry FAME fuel as a viable option for use as an alternative fuel in terms of energy efficiency in IDI engines.
|Journal Article||Optical and Thermodynamic Investigations of Reference Fuels for Future Combustion Systems|
|Technical Paper||Performance and Emissions of Lignin and Cellulose Based Oxygenated Fuels in a Compression-Ignition Engine|
- Valentin Soloiu - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Henry Ochieng - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Martin Muinos - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Alejandro Rivero-Castillo - Georgia Southern Univ.
- James LoBue - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Gustavo Molina - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Brian Vlcek - Georgia Southern Univ.
- Spencer Harp - Georgia Southern Univ.
CitationSoloiu, V., Ochieng, H., Muinos, M., Rivero-Castillo, A. et al., "Poultry Fat FAME Biodiesel Blends Characteristics and Performance in an IDI Engine for APU Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1265, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1265.
- Demirbas , A. Progress and Recent Trends in Biodiesel Fuels Energy Conversion and Management 2009 14 34
- Kreith F.D. , Goswami Y. Handbook of Energy Efficiency and Renewable Energy Boca Raton CRC Press 2007
- Beidel , Eric Officials Look For Ways to Upgrade Humvees after Recap Cancellation National Defense April 2012
- Appalachian Energy Summit Energy, Installations & Environment http://sustain.appstate.edu/files/Roger_ASU%20Energy%20Brief%20Final.pdf July 2013
- Qi , D.H. , Chen H. , Geng L.M. , and Bian Y.ZH. Experimental Studies on the Combustion Characteristics and Performance of a Direct Injection Engine Fueled with Biodiesel/Diesel Blends Energy Conversion and Management 2010 2985 2992
- Feddern , V. , Cunjha , A. , Celant De Prá , M. , De Abreu , P.G. , dos Santos , J. , Higarashi , M.M. , Sulenta , M. , and Coldebella , A. Animal Fat Wastes for Biodiesel Production Biodiesel - Feedstocks and Processing Technologies 10.5772/26691
- Soloiu , V. , Nelson , D. , Covington , A. , and Lewis , J. Investigations of a Fatty Acid Methyl Ester from Poultry Fat in a Triple Vortex Separate Combustion Chamber Diesel Engine Stage One-Combustion Investigations SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1188 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1188
- Bharat , K. , and Bhattacharya , A. The Production and Analysis of Biodiesel from Waste Chicken Skin and Pork Skin Fat and a Comparison of Fuel Properties to Petroleum Derived Diesel Fuel International Journal of Engineering Research and Development 2.3 2012 08 15
- Jørgensen , A. , Bikker , P. , and Herrmann , I. Assessing the Greenhouse Gas Emissions from Poultry Fat Biodiesel Journal of Cleaner Production 24 2012 85 91
- Wyatt , V. T. , Hess , M. A. , Dunn , R. O. , Foglia , T. A. , Haas , M. J. , & Marmer , W. N. 2005 Fuel properties and nitrogen oxide emission levels of biodiesel produced from animal fats Journal of the American Oil Chemists' Society 82 8 585 591
- Takayuki , M. and Takaaki , M. Diesel Engine Operation and Exhaust Emissions When Fueled with Animal Fats SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-3673 2005 10.4271/2005-01-3673
- EPA (US Environmental Protection Agency) 2002 A comprehensive analysis of biodiesel impacts on exhaust emissions. Draft Technical Report “ EPA 420-P-02-001 October 2002
- Deng , J. , Li , C. , Hu , Z. , Wu , Z. et al. Spray Characteristics of Biodiesel and Diesel Fuels under High Injection Pressure with a Common Rail System SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2268 2010 10.4271/2010- 01-2268
- Geller , D. , Adams , T. , Goodrum , J. , and Pendergrass , J. Storage stability of poultry fat and diesel fuel mixtures: part II-Chemical properties Fuel 2010 792 796
- Bamgboye , A.I. , and Hansen A.C. Prediction of cetane number of biodiesel fuel from the fatty acid methyl ester (FAME) composition International Agrophysics 2008 1 9
- Mizushima , N. , Kawano , D. , Ishii , H. , Goto , Y. , Arai , H. Effect of Fuel Properties of Biodiesel on Its Combustion and Emission Characteristics JSAE- Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1939
- Lapuerta , M. , Rodriguz-Fernandez , J. , Fermin , O. , and Canoira , L. Biodiesel from Low-Grade Animal Fats: Diesel Engine Performance and Emissions Energy & Fuels (Energy & Fuels) 2009 121 129
- Canakci , M., H.S. 2008 Biodiesel production from various feedstocks and their effects on the fuel properties JIMB 2008-431-441.
- ASTM Standard D6571-10 Standard Specification for Biodiesel Fuel Blend Stock (B100) for Middle Distillate Fuels ASTM International West Conshohocken, PA 10.1520/D6751-10 www.astm.org
- Heywood , J. 1988 Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill Science/Engineering/Math
- Soloiu , V. , Weaver , J. , Duggan , M. , Ochieng , H. , Vleck , B. , Williams , D. , Jansons , M. Methyl Oleate Evaluation as a Model Fuel for Peanuts FAME, in an Indirect Injection Diesel Engine ICEF2012-92071 Internal Combustion Engine Division Fall Technical Conference. Vancouver ASME 2012 14
- Graboski , M. , McCormick , R. , Alleman , T. , and Hering , A. Effect of Biodiesel Composition on NOx and PM Emissions from a DDC Series 60 Engine. Draft Final Report Golden National Renewable Energy Laboratory 1999
- Soloiu , V. , Lewis , J. , Covington , A. , Nelson , D. et al. Oleic Methyl Ester Investigations in an Indirect Injection Diesel Engine; Stage One: Combustion Investigations SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 4 1 58 75 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0616
- Knothe , G. , Steidley , K., R. Kinematic viscosity of biodiesel components (fatty acid alkyl esters) and related compounds at low temperatures Fuel 86 2560 2567 2007
- Szybist , P., J. , Kirby , R., S. , Boehman , L., A. NOx Emissions of Alternative Diesel Fuels: A Comparative Analysis of Biodiesel and FT Diesel Energy & Fuels 19 1484 1492 2005
- Cutler , G., W. , McMickle , H., R. , Webb , W. , Schiessler , W., R. Study of the compressions of several high molecular weight hydrocarbons J. Chem. Phys. 29 727 740 1958
- Hess , A., M. , Haas , J., M. , Foglia , A., T. Attempts to reduce NOx exhaust emissions by using reformulated biodiesel Fuel Process. Technol. 88 693 699 2007
- Tat , M., E. , and Van Gerpen , J., H. 2003 Measurement of Biodiesel Speed of Sound and its Impact on Injection Timing Technical Report No. 4 NREL, Iowa State University Ames, Iowa
- Shapiro , H.N. , & Moran , J M. Fundamentals of Engineering Thermodynamics 6 John Wiley & Sons Inc. 2007
- Annand , W. J. D. , Ma , T. H. Instantaneous Heat Transfer Rates to the Cylinder Head Surface of a Small Compression-Ignition Engine Proc. Instn. Mech. Engrs 185 976 987 1971
- Soloiu , V. , Weaver , J. , Ochieng , H. Evaluation of Peanut Fatty Acid Methyl Ester Sprays, Combustion and Emissions, for Use in an Indirect Injection Diesel Engine 10.1021/ef302069d Energy Fuels
- Borman , G. and Nishiwaki , K. Internal-combustion engine heat-transfer Progress in Energy and Combustion Science 13 1 1 46 1987
- Soloiu V , Yoshihara Y , Nishiwaki K , Nakanishi K. Combustion and emissions characteristics of a polypropylene blended diesel fuel in a direct injection compression engine ASME 2010 Internal Combustion Engine Division, Fall, Technical Conference, ICEF2010-35079 San Antonio