This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Dual Loop EGR in Retrofitted Heavy-Duty Diesel Application
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Dual loop EGR systems (having both a high pressure loop EGR and a low pressure loop EGR) have been successfully applied to multiple light-duty diesel engines to meet Tier 2 Bin 5 and Euro 5/6 emissions regulations [1, 2], including the 2009 model year VW Jetta 2.0TDI. Hyundai and Toyota also published their studies with dual loop EGR systems [3, 4]. More interest exists on the low pressure loop EGR effects on medium to heavy duty applications . Since the duty cycles of light duty diesel and heavy duty diesel applications are very different, how to apply the dual loop EGR systems to heavy duty applications and understanding their limitations are less documented and published. As a specific type of heavy duty application, this paper studied the dual loop EGR effects on the retrofit applications of heavy duty diesel for delivery and drayage applications. The reduction of NOx emissions and the impact on fuel economy and controls are discussed. The dual loop EGR systems were fully developed and demonstrated over the full engine speed and load range including transient conditions with a nearly 50% NOx reduction over light to medium loads for drayage truck applications relative to the 2004 emissions level. The complete dual loop EGR systems were implemented on the target vehicle for mileage accumulation and durability demonstration for future verification purpose.
CitationHuang, Y., Colvin, J., Wijesinghe, A., Wang, M. et al., "Dual Loop EGR in Retrofitted Heavy-Duty Diesel Application," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1244, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1244.
- Huang Yiqun , Neely Gary D. , Sasaki Shizuo , Leet Jeffrey A. , Stewart Daniel W. US Tier II Emissions Solutions for Light-Duty Diesel Vehicles JSAE Transactions 37 3 2006
- Neely , G. , Sasaki , S. , Huang , Y. , Leet , J. et al. New Diesel Emission Control Strategy to Meet US Tier 2 Emissions Regulations SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1091 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1091
- Lee , H. , Jo , C. , Yoon , S. , YI , S. et al. Optimization of Dual Loop EGR of a V6 3.0 Liter Diesel Engine for CO2 Reduction SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0316 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0316
- Yamashita , A. , Ohki , H. , Tomoda , T. , and Nakatani , K. Development of Low Pressure Loop EGR System for Diesel Engines SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1413 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1413
- Diller Tim , Matthews Ron , Palacios Cynthia , DeFries Timothy H. et al. The Effects of Low Rolling Resistance Tires on the NOx Emissions and Fuel Economy of Drayage Trucks 2007 NTRD N-02 Project Final Report for Texas Commission on Environmental Quality
- Colvin John , Huang Yiqun Emission Reduction by Retrofitting On-road Diesel Vehicles and Off-road Diesel Equipment with Two Different Emerging Technologies 2010 EPA Contract Number 2A-83442001-0, Supplementary Project Report
- Huang Yiqun , Colvin John , Wijesinghe Asanga , Hou Deyang Demonstration of a Verification-ready, Retrofittable Dual-loop EGR System for NOx Reduction without Aftertreatment 2013 Final Report for NTRD Program, Texas Commission on Environmental Quality