This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Fuel Consumption Evaluation of Cooled External EGR for a Downsized Boosted SIDI DICP Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A 2.0L twin-scroll turbocharged SIDI engine was used to evaluate low-pressure loop water-cooled external EGR at operating conditions between 1000 rpm 75 Nm and 3000 rpm 250 Nm. The engine compression ratio was increased from 9.3 to 10.9. The maximum fuel consumption reduction potential, the boost pressure requirements, and the optimized external EGR calibration were determined. Combination of higher compression ratio and external EGR achieved 5-7% better fuel economy over mid-load region when using the twin-scroll turbocharger. A similar (4-6%) better fuel economy was observed over much of the higher-load region, including peak torque condition at 1000rpm, when the required boost pressure was provided by an externally-driven auxiliary boost system (not connected to the engine). The power consumption of auxiliary boost system (supercharger loss) was estimated and considered in fuel economy assessment. The fuel consumption reduction mechanisms of EGR were also analyzed. This study shows that reduced pumping loss attributed to about 0.5% fuel consumption reduction per 10% EGR, heat loss reduction and better mixture properties offered above 2% fuel consumption reduction per 10% EGR. In addition, combustion phasing improvement by adding EGR played the main role to reduce the fuel consumption at knock-limited conditions, up to 4% at low speeds and high loads.
CitationLiu, Z. and Cleary, D., "Fuel Consumption Evaluation of Cooled External EGR for a Downsized Boosted SIDI DICP Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1235, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1235.
- Lecointe , B. and Monnier , G. Downsizing a Gasoline Engine Using Turbocharging with Direct Injection SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0542 2003 10.4271/2003-01-0542
- Grimaldi , F. , Gervais , D. , Marchal , A. , and Floch , A. Single-cylinder Experiments for Downsizing-Oriented SI Concepts: GDI and VVL Thermodynamic Comparison SAE Technical Paper 2007-24-0013 2007 10.4271/2007-24-0013
- Lang , O. , Geiger , J. , Habermann , K. , and Wittler , M. Boosting and Direct Injection -Synergies for Future Gasoline Engines SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1144 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1144
- Cleary , D. and Silvas , G. Unthrottled Engine Operation with Variable Intake Valve Lift, Duration, and Timing SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1282 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1282
- França , O. IMPACT OF THE MILLER CYCLE IN THE EFFICIENCY OF AN FVVT (FULLY VARIABLE VALVE TRAIN) ENGINE DURING PART LOAD OPERATION SAE Technical Paper 2009-36-0081 2009 10.4271/2009-36-0081
- Cairns , A. , Blaxill , H. , and Irlam , G. Exhaust Gas Recirculation for Improved Part and Full Load Fuel Economy in a Turbocharged Gasoline Engine SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0047 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0047
- Alger , T. and Mangold , B. Dedicated EGR: A New Concept in High Efficiency Engines SAE Int. J. Engines 2 1 620 631 2009 10.4271/2009-01-0694
- Alger , T. , Gingrich , J. , and Mangold , B. The Effect of Hydrogen Enrichment on EGR Tolerance in Spark Ignited Engines SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0475 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0475
- Potteau , S. , Lutz , P. , Leroux , S. , Moroz , S. et al. Cooled EGR for a Turbo SI Engine to Reduce Knocking and Fuel Consumption SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3978 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3978
- Taylor , J. , Fraser , N. , and Wieske , P. Water Cooled Exhaust Manifold and Full Load EGR Technology Applied to a Downsized Direct Injection Spark Ignition Engine SAE Int. J. Engines 3 1 225 240 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0356
- Nishida , M. , Inoue , N. , Suzuki , H. , and Kumagai , S. Closed Loop Control of the EGR Rate Using the Oxygen Sensor SAE Technical Paper 880133 1988 10.4271/880133
- Welling , O. and Collings , N. UEGO Based Measurement of EGR Rate and Residual Gas Fraction SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1289 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1289