This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Free Piston Engine Linear Generator System Part 1 - Investigation of Fundamental Characteristics
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Free Piston Engine Linear Generator (FPEG) with features of thin and compact build, high efficiency and high fuel flexibility is developed. The FPEG consists of a two-stroke combustion chamber, a linear generator and a gas spring chamber. The key technologies to realize stable continuous operation are lubricating, cooling, and control logic.
This paper proposes the original structure of the FPEG for enabling stable continuous operation. The main feature is a hollow circular step-shaped piston. The smaller-diameter side of the piston constitutes the combustion chamber, and the larger-diameter side constitutes the gas spring chamber. The larger cross-sectional area of the gas spring chamber leads to lower compression temperature of the gas spring chamber and consequently decreased heat loss. In addition, an oil cooling passage is built in the column stay, which ensures the enough cooling ability of the piston.
To assess the performance of the proposed structure, one-dimensional cycle simulation was developed. In this simulations, spark ignition combustion (SI) and premixed charged compression ignition combustion (PCCI) were assessed. Output power of 10kW was obtained with both SI and PCCI combustion cases. In addition, high thermal efficiency of 42% was realized in the PCCI combustion case.
As an experimental study, a FPEG prototype with a two-stroke SI combustion system was constructed. Stable operation of the prototype was achieved. Then the unique piston motion and its effect on combustion and power generation in the FPEG prototype were experimentally analyzed.
- Hidemasa Kosaka - Toyota Central R&D Labs Inc.
- Tomoyuki Akita - Toyota Central R&D Labs Inc.
- Kazunari Moriya - Toyota Central R&D Labs Inc.
- Shigeaki Goto - Toyota Central R&D Labs Inc.
- Yoshihiro Hotta - Toyota Central R&D Labs Inc.
- Takaji Umeno - Toyota Central R&D Labs Inc.
- Kiyomi Nakakita - Toyota Central R&D Labs Inc.
CitationKosaka, H., Akita, T., Moriya, K., Goto, S. et al., "Development of Free Piston Engine Linear Generator System Part 1 - Investigation of Fundamental Characteristics," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1203, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1203.
- Pescara RP. Motor compressor apparatus US Patent 1657,641 1928
- Farmer H.O. , M.C., B.Sc., A.M. Free-Piston Compressor-Engines Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers 156 1 253 271 1947
- Pescara RP. Motor compressor of the free piston type US Patent 2241,957 1941
- Toutant WT. The Worthington-Junkurs free-piston air compressor J. Am. Soc. Naval Eng. 64 3 583 594 1952 10.1111/j.1559-3584.1952.tb02985.x
- Goertz , M. and Peng , L. Free Piston Engine Its Application and Optimization SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0996 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0996
- Li , L. , Luan , Y. , Wang , Z. , Deng , J. et al. Simulations of Key Design Parameters and Performance Optimization for a Free-piston Engine SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-1105 2010 10.4271/2010-01-1105
- Huang , L. An Opposed-Piston Free-Piston Linear Generator Development for HEV SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-1021 2012 10.4271/2012-01-1021
- Tian Chunlai , Feng Huihua and Zuo Zhengxing Load following controller for single free-piston generator Applied Mechanics and Materials 157-158 617 621 2012
- Goldsborough , S. and Van Blarigan , P. A Numerical Study of a Free Piston IC Engine Operating on Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition Combustion SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0619 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0619
- Bergman , M. , Fredriksson , J. , and Golovitchev , V. CFD-Based Optimization of a Diesel-fueled Free Piston Engine Prototype for Conventional and HCCI Combustion SAE Int. J. Engines 1 1 1118 1143 2008 10.4271/2008-01-2423
- Van Blarigan , P. , Paradiso , N. , and Goldsborough , S. Homogeneous Charge Compression Ignition with a Free Piston: A New Approach to Ideal Otto Cycle Performance SAE Technical Paper 982484 1998 10.4271/982484
- Xu Zhaoping and Chang Siqin Prototype testing and analysis of a novel internal combustion linear generator integrated power system Applied Energy 87 1342 1348 2010 10.1016/j.apenergy.2009.08.027
- Zulkifli Saiful A. , Karsiti Mohd N. and A-Aziz A-Rashid Investigation of Linear Generator Starting Modes by Mechanical Resonance and Rectangular Current Commutation Electric Machines and Drives Conference 425 433 2009 10.1109/IEMDC.2009.5075241
- Carter , D. and Wechner , E. The Free Piston Power Pack: Sustainable Power for Hybrid Electric Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3277 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3277
- Kock , F. , Haag , J. , and Friedrich , H. The Free Piston Linear Generator - Development of an Innovative, Compact, Highly Efficient Range-Extender Module SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1727 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1727
- Nemecek Pavel , Sindelka Michal , and Vysony Ondrej Ensuring Steady Operation of Free-Piston Generator Journal of Systems, Cybernetics and Informatics 4 1 19 23 2006
- Halstead M. P. , Kirsch L. J. , and Quinn C. P. The Autoignition of Hydrocarbon Fuels at High Temperatures and Pressures-Fitting of a Mathematical Model Combustion and Flame 30 45 60 1977
- Kong , S. , Han , Z. , and Reitz , R. The Development and Application of a Diesel Ignition and Combustion Model for Multidimensional Engine Simulation SAE Technical Paper 950278 1995 10.4271/950278
- Shiraki Mutsuo , Nomura Yoshihiro , Yamamoto Seiji , Nagaoka Makoto , Miyaji Yoshihiro and Noguchi Yasushi Development of 0-dimensional Combustion Model for Gasoline Engine Proceedings of the 22th Internal Combustion Engine Symposium 469 474 2011
- Fuyuto Takayuki , Akihama Kazuhiro , Fujikawa Taketoshi and Nakakita Kiyomi Diesel In-Cylinder Measurement Technique Using a Multi-Direction Optically Accessible Engine Journal of Environment and Engineering 5 1 72 83 2010