This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling Engine Oil Variable Displacement Vane Pumps in 1D to Predict Performance, Pulsations, and Friction
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Variable displacement vane pumps are becoming more popular for engine oil circuits due to their fuel savings over traditional fixed displacement pumps. As a result, engineers need to analyze these pumps to ensure the pump design meets the demands of the oil circuit while having good friction characteristics and avoiding issues like high pressure amplitude and resonance. By employing 1D flow simulation to these pumps, the user can analyze the most important issues surrounding vane pumps at a fraction of the time as 3D CFD.
This paper showcases the prediction of several major performance quantities of a variable displacement vane pump including flow rate, pressure rise, and friction torque vs. engine speed and temperature. The simulation results show good correlation to measurement data. In addition, the pressure pulsation at several locations including in the vane chamber and at the outlet is compared directly with 3D CFD for a different pump. Furthermore, the effect of aerated oil on pump performance is also shown. Finally, a predictive friction model for vane pumps is proposed and shows good agreement with experiment.
CitationHarrison, J., Aihara, R., Eshraghi, M., and Dmitrieva, I., "Modeling Engine Oil Variable Displacement Vane Pumps in 1D to Predict Performance, Pulsations, and Friction," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1086, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1086.
- Mancò , S. , Nervegna , N. , Rundo , M. , and Armenio , G. Displacement vs Flow Control in IC Engines Lubricating Pumps SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1602 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1602
- Mancò , S. , Nervegna , N. , Rundo , M. , and Armenio , G. Modelling and Simulation of Variable Displacement Vane Pumps for IC Engine Lubrication SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1601 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1601
- Rundo , M. and Nervegna , N. Geometry Assessment of Variable Displacement Vane Pumps ASME Transactions 129 446 455 2007 10.1115/1.2718245
- Arata , T. , Novi , N. , Ariga , K. , Yamashita , A. , and Armenio , G. Development of a Two-Stage Variable Displacement Vane Oil Pump SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0408 10.4271/2012-01-0408
- Geist , B. and Resh , W. Dynamic Modeling of a Variable Displacement Vane Pump Within an Engine Oil Circuit ASME Proceedings Paper ICEF2011-60039 2011 10.1115/ICEF2011-60039
- Wang , D.M. , Ding , H. , Jiang , Y. , and Xiang , X. Numerical Modeling of Vane Oil Pump with Variable Displacement SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0637 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0637
- Sullivan , P.E. and Sehmby , M. Internal Force Analysis of a Variable Displacement Vane Pump SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0409 10.4271/2012-01-0409
- Inaguma , Y. Theoretical Analysis of Mechanical Efficiency in Vane Pump JTEKT Engineering Journal English Edition 1007 E 28 35 2010
- Munson , B. , Young , D. , and Okiishi , T. Fundamentals of Fluid Mechanics John Wiley & Sons New York 4 th 513 2002