This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Material NVH Convergence Technology for a Plastic Intercooler Pipe
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The main contribution of this paper is to employ a sound and vibration theory in order to develop a light and cost effective plastic intercooler pipe. The intercooler pipe was composed of two rubber hoses and one aluminum pipe mounted between an ACV (Air Control Valve) and an intercooler outlet. The engineering design concept is to incorporate low-vibration type bellows and an impedance-mismatched center pipe, which replaces the rubber hoses and aluminum pipe respectively. The bellows were designed to adapt powertrain movement for high vibration transmission loss to the intercooler outlet. Also, the impedance-mismatched center pipe was implemented to increase reflected wave by using relatively higher modulus than bellows part and applying a SeCo (Sequential Coextrusion) processing method.
|Technical Paper||Slinger Design in Live 4WD Axle for Tractor|
|Technical Paper||Investigation on Torque Jump Up and Vibration at High Rotation Speed of a Wet Clutch|
CitationKim, G., Choi, C., Moon, Y., and Jin, Y., "Material NVH Convergence Technology for a Plastic Intercooler Pipe," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1040, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1040.
- Meirovitch Leonard Fundamentals of Vibration Mc-Graw Hill 2001
- Fahy Frank and Walker John Advanced Applications in Acoustics, Noise and Vibration Spon Press 2004
- Variyart , W. and Brennan M.J. Simplified dispersion relationships for in-vacuo pipes Journal of Sound and Vibration 2002 256 5 955 967
- Gardonio , P. and Brennan , M.J. Advanced Applications in Noise and Vibration Fahy , F.J. and Walker J.G. Mobility and Impedance Methods Spon Press London and New York 0-415-23729-7 2004
- Sneddon , N.W. Analysis and design guidance for the lateral stiffness of bellows expansion joints Thin-Walled Structures 3 145 162 1985
- Maess , M. , Herrmann , J. , Gaul , L. Finite element analysis of guided waves in fluid-filled corrugated pipes Journal of the Acoustical Society of America 121 3 1313 1323 2007
- Kim , N-I. , Kim , M-Y. Exact dynamic stiffness matrix of non-symmetric thin-walled curved beams subjected to initial axial force Journal of Sound and Vibration 284 851 878 2005
- Bickford , W.B. , Strom , B.T. Vibration of plane curved beams Journal of Sound and Vibration 39 2 135 146 1975
- Howson , W.P. , Jemah M.K. Exact dynamic stiffness method for planar natural frequencies of curved Timoshenko beams Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part C: Journal of Mechanical Engineering Science 213 688 696 1999
- Wang , T.M. , Issa , M.S. Extensional vibrations of continuous circular curved beams with rotary inertia and shear deformation, II: forced vibration Journal of Sound and Vibration 114 2 309 323 1987
- Lee , S.K. , Mace , B.R. and Brennan , M.J. Wave propagation, reflection and transmission in curved beams Journal of Sound and Vibration 306 3-5 636 656 2007