This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Stiffness Simulation Techniques and Test Correlations in Automotive Interior Cockpit Systems (IP, Door Trim and Floor Console Assembly)
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An automotive cockpit module is a complex assembly, which consists of components and sub-systems. The critical systems in the cockpit module are the instrument panel (IP), the floor console, and door trim assemblies, which consist of many plastic trims. Stiffness is one of the most important parameters for the plastic trims' design, and it should be optimum to meet all the three functional requirements of safety, vibration and durability. This paper presents how the CAE application and various other techniques are used efficiently to predict the stiffness, and the strength of automotive cockpit systems, which will reduce the product development cycle time and cost. The implicit solver is used for the most of the stiffness analysis, and the explicit techniques are used in highly non-linear situations. This paper also shows the correlations of the CAE results and the physical test results, which will give more confidence in product design and reduce the cost of prototype testing.
CitationK Billal, M., Subramani, V., Rao, M., and Potok, T., "Stiffness Simulation Techniques and Test Correlations in Automotive Interior Cockpit Systems (IP, Door Trim and Floor Console Assembly)," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-1025, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-1025.
- Lin , J. and Pitrof , S. Analytical Design of Cockpit Modules for Safety and Comfort SAE Technical Paper 2004-01-1481 2004 10.4271/2004-01-1481
- Yeo Tae-Jung and Park Jun A Unified FE Modeling Approach to an Automobile Cockpit Module ABAQUS Users' onference 2003
- Angjel , S. Thermal-Mechanical Analysis of Polymers Panel Instruments (Dashboards) Undergone to Large Temperature Changes ABAQUS users' conference 1999
- Kovacic , T. , Lanka , S. , and Marks , M. Development of an Integrated Structural HVAC Instrument Panel Cockpit System SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-0309 2002 10.4271/2002-01-0309
- ABAQUS User's Manual 6.10 Version 2010