This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Edge Formability and Material Characterization of Hot-Rolled Multiphase Steels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
New innovations in the field of advanced high strength steels (AHSS) have led to the development of steels with improved stretch-flangeability known as hot-rolled multi-phase (HR) steels. To understand the performance of HR steels, hole expansion tests were conducted on five prototype HR steels and compared with their commercial dual-phase (DP) steel equivalent. A variety of hole edge conditions were considered to study the influence of the shear-affected-zone (SAZ), the surface roughness at the sheared edge and the shear burr orientation. The microstructure of each material was characterized and discussed in relation to its formability for the different edge conditions. It was observed that the bainitic-ferrite microstructure of the HR steels showed superior formability during sheared edge stretching compared to commercial dual-phase steels.
|Technical Paper||Optimal Production Trimming Process for AHSS Sheared Edge Stretchability Improvement|
|Technical Paper||Effect of Fiber Laser Welding on the Fatigue Properties of Dissimilar Welded Joints between DP980 and HSLA Steels|
CitationPathak, N., Butcher, C., Worswick, M., Bellhouse, E. et al., "Edge Formability and Material Characterization of Hot-Rolled Multiphase Steels," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0992, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0992.
- Hosegawa , K. Kawanura , K. Urabe , T. Hosaya , Y. Effects of Microstructure on Stretch-flange-formability of 980 MPa Cold-rolled High Strength Steels ISIJ International 44 2004 3 603 609
- Hughes , A. Fekete , J. Walp , M. The Susceptibility to Shear Fracture of Advance High Strength Steels Materials Science and Technology 145 157
- Koyanagi K. , Motomura K. Simple Prediction Method for the Edge Fracture of Steel Sheet during Vehicle Collision (2nd report) LS-DYNA Conference 2006 Anwenderforum, Ulm.
- Pathak , N. C. Butcher and Worswick , M. Influence of the sheared edge condition on the hole expansion of dual phase steel International Deep Drawing Research group IDDRG conference 2013 Zurich, Switzerland
- Comstock , R. J. Scherrer D. K. , Adamczyk R. D. Hole expansion in a variety of sheet steels Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance December 2006 15 6 675 683
- Konieczny , A. and Henderson , T. On Formability Limitations in Stamping Involving Sheared Edge Stretching SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0340 2007 10.4271/2007-01-0340
- Butcher , C. Anderson D. and Worswick , M. Predicting Failure During Sheared Edge Stretching Using a Damage-Based Model for the Shear-Affected Zone SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 6 2013 304 312
- Ilinich , A. , Smith , L. , and Golovashchenko , S. Analysis of Methods for Determining Sheared Edge Formability SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1062 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1062