This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effect of Fiber Laser Welding on the Fatigue Properties of Dissimilar Welded Joints between DP980 and HSLA Steels
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Advanced high strength steels (AHSS) such as dual phase (DP) steels are now being extensively used to achieve light weighting goals of vehicles because of their attractive combination of formability and high strength. High strength low alloy (HSLA) steels are also used in lightweight bodies-in-white; DP and HSLA steels are therefore often laser butt-welded together into tailor welded blanks and to create other joints. Among the laser welding processes, fiber laser welding (FLW) has been shown to provide excellent quality welds, including superior weld mechanical properties, at higher speeds than those possible with other laser welding processes. Using dissimilarly welded DP980-HSLA blanks made with different welding parameters, the tensile properties were found to not change in spite of the HSLA being weaker than the soft zone on the DP980 side of the weld. The high heat input weld was found to have more softening in comparison to its base metal (BM) (55 HV versus 46 HV) and less bainite (8% versus 15%) in its FZ in comparison to the low heat input weld. The fatigue properties of the high heat input weld were also found to be better than those of the low heat input weld.
- Daniel Liu - Teck Metals Ltd.
- Qingling Cui - Northeastern Univ. / Ryerson Univ.
- Daniel Westerbaan - Univ. of Waterloo
- Sashank Nayak - Univ. of Waterloo
- Norman Zhou - Univ. of Waterloo
- Dennis Parkes - Ryerson Univ.
- Sanjiwan Bhole - Ryerson Univ.
- Daolun Chen - Ryerson Univ.
- Frank Goodwin - International Zinc Association
CitationParkes, D., Cui, Q., Westerbaan, D., Nayak, S. et al., "Effect of Fiber Laser Welding on the Fatigue Properties of Dissimilar Welded Joints between DP980 and HSLA Steels," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0990, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0990.
- Murray , J. , and King , D. Oil's tipping point has passed Nature 481 433 435 2012
- Joost , W.J. Reducing vehicle weight and improving U.S. energy efficiency using integrated computational materials engineering Journal of Materials 64 1032 1038 2012
- Kim , H.J. , Keoleian , G.A. , and Skerlos , S.J. Economic assessment of greenhouse gas emissions reduction by vehicle lightweighting using aluminum and high-strength steel Journal of Industrial Ecology 15 64 80 2011 10.1111/j.1530-9290.2010.00288.x
- Xu , W. , Westerbaan , D. , Nayak , S.S. , Chen , D.L. et al. Tensile and fatigue properties of fiber laser welded high strength low alloy and DP980 dual-phase steel joints Materials and Design 43 373 383 2013
- Parkes , D. , Xu , W. , Westerbaan , D. , Nayak , S.S. et al. Microstructure and fatigue properties of fiber laser welded dissimilar joints between high strength low alloy and dual phase steels Materials and Design 51 665 675 2013
- Kwon , O. , and Baik , S.C. Manufacture and application of advanced high strength steel sheets for auto manufacture Pohang POSCO 785 790 2005
- Farabi , N. , Chen , D.L. , and Zhou , Y. Tensile properties and work hardening behavior of laser-welded dual-phase steel joints Journal of Materials Engineering and Performance 21 222 230 2012
- Farabi , N. , Chen , D.L. , and Zhou , Y. Microstructure and mechanical properties of laser welded dissimilar DP600/DP980 dual-phase steel joints Journal of Alloys and Compounds 509 982 989 2011
- Quinto , L. , Costa , A. , Miranda , R. , Yapp , D. et al. Welding with high power fiber lasers - A preliminary study Materials and Design 28 1231 1237 2007
- Xia , M. , Biro , E. , Tian , Z. , and Zhou , Y. Effects of Heat Input and Martensite on HAZ Softening in Laser Welding of Dual Phase Steels ISIJ International 48 6 809 814 2008
- Biro , E. , McDermid , J. , Embury , J. , and Zhou Y. Softening Kinectics in the Subcritical Heat-Affected Zone of Dual-Phase Steel Welds The Minerals, Metals & Materials Society 41A 2348 2356 2010
- Kou , S. Welding Metallurgy John Wiley and Sons, Inc. New Jersey 2003
- Shao , H. , Gould , J. , and Albright C. Laser blank welding high-strength steels Metallurgical and materials transactions 38B 321 331 2007
- Hertzberg , R.W. Deformation and fracture mechanics of engineering materials 4th John Wiley & Sons Inc. New Jersey 1996
- Dieter , G.E. Mechanical metallurgy 3 rd McGraw-Hill New York 1986