This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Technological Comparison for Dual Phase and Advanced High Strength Low Alloy Steels Regarding Weldability and Mechanical Properties
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper presents a technological comparison of weldability and mechanical properties between a dual phase steel (DP) and an advanced high strength low alloy steel (AHSLA) used for automotive structural parts in order to demonstrate some unclear characteristics of each. Samples were spot welded and had their hardness and microstructure analyzed, also a shear test was applied on the weld button area. The edge stretchability was analyzed using hole expansion tests and tensile tests to determine the tensile and yield strength, anisotropic coefficients and total elongation. Data were used to estimate crash energy absorption. The results showed an AHSLA steel with higher than typical ductility. Finally, while DP showed improved stretchability, it was also concluded that such AHSLA could perform better bendability, drawability, flangeability and weldability.
CitationLopes, A., Colosio, M., and Castillo, J., "Technological Comparison for Dual Phase and Advanced High Strength Low Alloy Steels Regarding Weldability and Mechanical Properties," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0988, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0988.
- Lopes, A.S. Aspectos da melhoria da estampabilidade de chapas de aço baixo teor de carbono. Dissertação (Mestrado) - EPUSP, 2006.
- Nishimura, K.; Kawabe, H.; Yoshimitsu, F.: Cold rolled steels sheets with ultra high Lankford value and excellent press formability, May 2000.
- Prakes, D.; Xu, W.; Westerbaan, D.; Nayak, S.S.; Zhou, Y.; Goodwin, F.; Bhole, S.; Chen, D.L.: Microstructure and fatigue properties of fiber laser welded dissimilar joints between high strength low alloy and dual-phase steels, Materials and Design, issue 51, 2013, pages 665-675.
- Wei, L.; Nelson, T.W.: Influence of heat input on post weld microstructure and mechanical properties of friction stir welded HSLA-65 steel, Materials Science and Engineering A, volume 556, 2012, pages 51-59.
- Pouranvari, M.: Susceptibility to interfacial fracture mode in similar and dissimilar resistance spot welds of DP1000 dual phase steel and low carbon steel during cross-tension and tensile-shear loading conditions, Materials Science and Engineering A, volume 546, 2012, pages 129-138.
- Sun, X.; Stephens, E.V.; Khaleel, M.A.: Effects of fusion zone size and failure mode on peak load and energy absorption of advanced high strength steel spot welds under lap shearing loading conditions, Engineering Failure Analysis, volume 15, 2008, pages 356-367
- http://www.steeluniversity.org/content/html/eng/default.asp?catid=22&pageid=2081271364. Advanced Low Carbon Cold Rolled Steel Strip, WorldSteel Association, last visited January 2014
- Japanese Industrial Standard, Method of inspection for spot welds, JIS Z 3140, 1989.
- German Standard, Resistance Spot Welding, DVS 2923.
- International Standard ISO 16630:2009(E) - Metallic materials - Sheet and strip - Hole expansion test, First edition 2009-07-01
- Advanced High Strength Steels (AHSS) Application Guidelines, Version 4.1, World Auto Steel, june 2009 page 2-5
- Tool and Manufacturing Engineers Handbook, Vol 2: Forming, chapter 31 Sheet Metal Formability page 31-3
- Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standard (FMVSS) No. 208
- Ramazani, A.; Schwedt, A.; Aretz, A.; Prahl, U.; Bleck, W.: Characterization and modeling of failure initiation in DP Steel, Computational Materials Science, volume 75, 2013, pages 35-44.
- Marya, M.; Gayden, X.Q.: Development of requirements for resistance spot welding dual-phase (DP1000) steel: part1- the cause of interfacial fracture. Welding Journal 84(11): 172 to 182, 205.
- Lee, S.; Kim, B.C.; Lee, D.Y.: Fracture in coarse grained HAZ of HSLA steel welds, Scripta Metallurgica, volume 23, 1989, pages 995-1000.
- Mechanical behaviors of resistance spot welds during prychecking test, by Tsai c.l., dickinson D.W., Kim C.y. and Garnett M.D., Welding journal, June 2006.