This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Evaluation of Metal Gainers for Advanced High Strength Steel Flanging
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Forming a metal gainer is a common technique used to gather material in a high stretch region along an edge in preparation for a subsequent flanging operation. This technique has proven to be successful for mild steels, but needs to be evaluated for the applicability to advanced high strength steels (AHSS). The Auto/Steel Partnership High Strength Stamping Team launched a project for this study. Experimental trials were conducted on gainer forming, trimming and flanging. Twelve (12) AHSS have been tested with tensile strengths ranging from 460 to 1240 MPa. Edge stretch limits for flanging have been evaluated and compared to flanging without gainers. Different trimming and flanging approaches have also been tried. The results show that metal gainers are not advantageous for flanging of higher strength AHSS.
CitationChen, X., Hsiung, C., Schmid, K., Du, C. et al., "Evaluation of Metal Gainers for Advanced High Strength Steel Flanging," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0985, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0985.
- Konieczny, A. and Henderson, T., “On Formability Limitations in Stamping Involving Sheared Edge Stretching,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-0340, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-0340.
- Chintamani, J. and Sriram, S., “Sheared Edge Characterization of Steel Products used for Closure Panel Applications,” SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1589, 2006, doi:10.4271/2006-01-1589.
- Wang Jian, Link Todd, Merwin Matthew, “AHSS Edge Formability in Sheared Edge Tension,” International Conference on New Developments in Advanced High-Strength Sheet Steels, 2008.
- Chen Xiaoming, Chen Ke, Smith Lorenzo, “Pre-Forming Effects on AHSS Edge Cracking,” Proc. of Numisheet 2011, Soul, Korea.
- Chen X. M., DuC., Wu X., Zhu X. and Liu S-D., “Sheet Metal Shearing and Edge Characterization of Dual Phase Sheets,” IDDRG International Conference, June 2009.
- Shih Hua-Chu and Shi Ming F., “An Innovative Shearing Process of AHSS Edge Stretchability Improvements,” J. of Manufacturing Sci. & Eng., December 2013, Vol. 133.
- Shi, M. and Chen, X., “Prediction of Stretch Flangeability Limits of Advanced High Strength Steels using the Hole Expansion Test,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1693, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1693.
- Chiriac C., Hoydick David P., “Role of Micro-structure on Edge Stretchability of DP780 Steel,” Intl. Symp. On New Development in Advanced High Strength Steels, 2013.
- Chen Xiaoming, Narainen Rodrigue, Smith Lorenzo M., Changqing Du, Hsiung Ching-Kuo, “Pre-form Effects on Edge Cracking in AHSS,” IBEC 2012, Troy, MI.