This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
On Modeling the Hot Stamping of High Strength Aluminum Sheet
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper documents the finite element (FE) analysis of a hot stamping process for high strength aluminum sheet. In this process a 7075 blank, heated above its solvus temperature, was simultaneously die quenched and stamped in a room temperature die to form a B-pillar outer reinforcement. Two modeling approaches have been investigated: an isothermal mechanical model and a non-isothermal coupled thermo-mechanical model. The accuracy of each approach was assessed by comparing the predicted strain and thickness distributions to experimental measurements from a formed panel. The coupled thermo-mechanical model provided the most accurate prediction.
|Journal Article||Hot Stamping of a B-Pillar Outer from High Strength Aluminum Sheet AA7075|
|Technical Paper||Experimental Evaluation of the Quench Rate of AA7075|
CitationIlinich, A. and Luckey, S., "On Modeling the Hot Stamping of High Strength Aluminum Sheet," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0983, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0983.
- Hashimoto , S. 1986 Hot working of aluminum alloy 7075 master's thesis Massachusetts Institute of Technology
- Shapiro , A.B. Using LS-DYNA for hot stamping 7th European LS-DYNA Conference 2009
- Lorenz , D. Simulation of thermo-mechanical forming process with LS-DYNA LS-DYNA forum Bamberg 2010
- Harrison , N. and Luckey , S. Hot Stamping of a B-Pillar Outer from High Strength Aluminum Sheet AA7075 SAE Int. J. Mater. Manf. 7 3 2014
- Barlat , F. , Lian , J. 1989 Plastic behavior and stretchability of sheet metals. Part I: a yield function for orthotropic sheets under plane stress conditions Int. J. Plasticity 5 51 66
- Friedman , P. , Luo , Y. , Wang , H. 2011 Characterization of warm forming behavior of high strength aluminum alloy AA7075 - part 2: numerical simulation Ford Motor Company technical report SRR-2011-0002
- Logan , R.W. , Hosford , W.F. 1980 Upper-bound anisotropic yield locus calculations assuming pencil glide Int. J. Mech. Sci. 22 419 430
- Luo , Y. , Wang , H. 2009 Unpublished internal research