This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Improving Offset Crash Performance and Injury Mitigation via Multi-Body Simulation and Structural CAE
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Recent advancement in numerical solutions and advanced computational power has given a new dimension to the design and development of new products.
The current paper focuses on the details of work done in order to improve the vehicle performance in Offset deformable Barrier (ODB) crash as per ECER-94. A Hybrid approach involving the Structural Crash CAE as well as Multi-body Simulation in MADYMO has been adopted. In first phase of the development, CAE results of Structural deformation as well as Occupant injury of the baseline model were correlated with physical test data. The second phase includes the improvement in intrusion and crash energy absorption by structural countermeasures in the vehicle body. In third phase parametric study has been carried out via Madymo simulation in order to decide on the factors which can be controlled in order to mitigate the Occupant injury. Recommendations of Madymo simulation have been confirmed by conducting Physical sled tests. Finally a cost and weight effective countermeasure package which involves the modification in Body structure and Restraint system has been developed in order to comply with the ECE R-94 offset crash regulation.
CitationKumar, S., Katyal, D., and Singh, A., "Improving Offset Crash Performance and Injury Mitigation via Multi-Body Simulation and Structural CAE," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0939, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0939.
- Bois Paul Du , Chou Clifford C. , Fileta Bahig B. Khalil Tawfik B. , King Albert I. , Mahmood Hikmat F. Mertz Harold J. , Wismans Jac Vehicle Crashworthiness and Occupant Protection Book
- Krishnaraj , S. , Kulkarni , K. , Narayanasamy , V. , and Thyagarajan , R. Occupant Knee Impact Simulations: A Parametric Study SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-1168 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1168
- Protection of Occupant against a Frontal Collision ECE Regulation No. 94 Revision 2, United Nations of March 1995
- Grimes , W. and Lee , F. The Effect of Crash Pulse Shape on Occupant Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0460 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0460
- LS-DYNA® KEYWORD User's Manual I August 2012 Livemore Software Technology Corporation (LSTC)
- Madymo® Reference Manual. Version 7.2 January 2010 TASS - TNO Automotive Safety Solutions
- Kumar , S. A Numerical Study on the Axial Crush Characteristics of Thin Walled Rectangular Tubes Subjected to Dynamic Impact SAE Technical Paper 2008-01-0242 2008 10.4271/2008-01-0242