This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Application of the Glinka's ESED Criterion in Optimization Design
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to take into account the local material non-linear elastic-plastic effects generated by notches, Glinka proposed the equivalent strain energy density (ESED) Criterion which has been widely accepted and used in fatigue theory and calculation for the last few decades. In this paper, Glinka's criterion is applied to structural optimization design for elastic-plastic correction to consider material non-linear elastic-plastic effects. The equivalent (fictitious) stress was derived from Glinka's Criterion equation for the commonly used Ramberg-Osgood and bi-linear stress and strain relationships. This equivalent stress can be used as the stress boundary constraint threshold in structural optimization design to control the elastic-plastic stress or strain in nonlinear optimization. Examples demonstrated this application was an efficient and effective practice within the material non-linear elastic-plastic range when using the equivalent elastic stress as constraints in automotive engineering structural optimization designs.
|Technical Paper||Pressure Drop in Protective Metal Meshes in Clean
|Technical Paper||Optimization of Vibration Isolators for Marine Diesel Engine Applications|
|Technical Paper||Use of Modeling and Simulation to Receive New Design Acceptance|
CitationQin, W., Zweng, F., and Datta, S., "Application of the Glinka's ESED Criterion in Optimization Design," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0912, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0912.
- Neuber , H. Theory of Stress Concentration for Shear-Strained Prismatical Bodies with Arbitrary Non-linear Stress-Strain Law Trans. ASME, J. Appl. Mech. 28 1961
- Glinka , G. Calculation of Inelastic Notch-tip Strain-Stress Histories under Cyclic Loading Engineering Fracture Mechanics 22 1985
- Jones t R. , Knoppt M. , Pricer J. and Molent L. Stress and Strain Estimation at Notches in Aircraft Structures DSTO Aeronautical and Maritime Research Laboratory, AR-010-652 October 1998
- Suryatama , D. , Bernitsas , M. , Budnick , G. , and Vitous , W. Simultaneous Topology and Performance Redesign by Large Admissible Perturbations for Automotive Structural Design SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1058 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1058
- Adibi-Asl R. and Seshadri R. Improved Prediction Method for Estimating Notch Elastic-Plastic Strains Transactions, SMiRT 19 Toronto August 2007
- Zeng Z and Fatemi A Elasto-plastic stress and strain behaviour at notch roots under monotonic and cyclic loadings JOURNAL OF STRAIN ANALYSIS 36 3 287
- Ferreira P.S. , Pinho-da-Cruz J. & Teixerra-Dias F. Finite Element and Local Strain Approach Stress-Strain Prediction in Notched AlCu4.5Mn Specimens Departamento de Engenharia Mecânica, Universidade de Aveiro Campus Universitário de Santiago 3810-193 Aveiro, Portugal