This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Non-Linear Modeling of Bushings and Cab Mounts for Calculation of Durability Loads
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Cab mounts and suspension bushings are crucial for ride and handling characteristics and must be durable under highly variable loading. Such elastomeric bushings exhibit non-linear behavior, depending on excitation frequency, amplitude and the level of preload. To calculate realistic loads for durability analysis of cars and trucks multi-body simulation (MBS) software is used, but standard bushing models for MBS neglect the amplitude dependent characteristics of elastomers and therefore lead to a trade-off in simulation accuracy. On the other hand, some non-linear model approaches lack an easy to use parameter identification process or need too much input data from experiments. Others exhibit severe drawbacks in computing time, accuracy or even numerical stability under realistic transient or superimposed sinusoidal excitation.
To improve bushing modeling of cab/box mounts for heavy duty/light duty trucks, a practical approach to model non-linear bushing dynamic characteristics has been tested and validated against standard bushing models. For model parameterization, several elastomeric cab mounts have been tested for their static and dynamic properties. The paper discusses the parameter identification process and validates the new non-linear bushing model regarding simulation accuracy, usability and computing time. Typical mount loads have been measured from durability events for model evaluation. This paper assesses the use of non-linear models for mounts and bushings to calculate durability loads in the context of full-vehicle simulation.
|Technical Paper||Multi-objective Optimization of the Variable Stiffness Suspension of a Light Bus Based on Artificial Immune Algorithm|
|Technical Paper||Low-Speed Longitudinal Distance Control with Applications to Parking|
CitationScheiblegger, C., Roy, N., Silva Parez, O., Hillis, A. et al., "Non-Linear Modeling of Bushings and Cab Mounts for Calculation of Durability Loads," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0880, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0880.
- Roy , N. and Villaire , M. Virtual Road Load Data Acquisition using Full Vehicle Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1189 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1189
- Yu , Y. , Naganathan , N. G. , and Dukkipati , R. V. 2001 A literature review of automotive vehicle engine mounting systems Mechanism and Machine Theory 36 123 142
- Payne , A. R. The Dynamic Properties of Carbon Black-Loaded Natural Rubber Vulcanizates Part I Journal of Applied Polymer Science 1962 6 19 57 63
- Sjøberg , M. On Dynamic Properties of Rubber Isolators PhD Thesis KTH Stockholm 2002
- Berg , M. A Non-Linear Rubber Spring Model for Rail Vehicle Dynamics Analysis Vehicle System Dynamics 1998 30 197 212
- Sedlaczek , K. Dronka , S. and Rauh , J. Advanced modular modelling of rubber bushings for vehicle simulations Vehicle System Dynamics 2011 49 5 741 759
- Pfeffer , P. E. and Hofer , K. “Simple Non-Linear Model for Elastomer and Hydro-Mountings,” to Optimise Overall Vehicle Simulation , 2002 ATZ worldwide 2002 2002
- Lambertz , S. “Nichtlineares Materialgesetz für technische Gummiwerkstoffe mit deformationsabhängigen Eigenschaften und seine experimentelle Überprüfung an Gummifederelementen,” Berichte aus der Werkstofftechnik PhD Thesis Aachen Shaker 1993
- Pfeffer , P. E. Modelling and Simulation of the Elastomer and Hydromount Models (Generation 2) and their implementation in ADAMS 3 rd VI-grade Users Conference 13 th 14 th October 2010 Bad Nauheim Germany
- Buechler , H.-J. Application of a new elastomer and hydromount model integrated in the full vehicle simulation process at Porsche: analysis of drive train vibrations on the example of the Panamera Diesel 4 th VI-grade Users Conference 18 th 19 th October 2011 Udine, Italy
- Scheiblegger , C. ; Pfeffer , P. E. ; Karrer , H. ; Geiger , N. Modelling of Elastomer and Hydro Mounts for Ride Comfort and Handling Simulation 13 th International VDI Congress Tires-Chassis-Road 25 th 26 th October 2011 VDI Berichte 2137 247 268
- Scheiblegger , C. , Lin J. and Karrer H. New non-linear bushing model for ride comfort and handling simulation: Focussing on linearization and the implementation into MBS environment Proceedings of the FISITA 2012 World Automotive Congress 10 Chassis Systems and Integration Technology 10.1007/978-3-642-33795-6_38