This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of a Modified Off-Road Rigid Ring Tire Model for Heavy Trucks
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
The rigid-ring tire model is a simplified tire model that describes a tire's behaviour under known conditions through various in-plane and out-of-plane parameters. The complex structure of the tire model is simplified into a spring-mass-damper system and can have its behaviour parameterized using principles of mechanical vibrations. By designing non-linear simulations of the tire model in specific situations, these parameters can be determined. They include, but are not limited to, the cornering stiffness, vertical damping constants, self-aligning torque stiffness and relaxation length. In addition, off-road parameters can be determined using similar methods to parameterize the tire model's behaviour in soft soils. By using Finite Element Analysis (FEA) modeling methods, validated soil models are introduced to the simulations to find additional soft soil parameters. By determining the full FEA tire model's characteristics, a simplified rigid-ring model can replace the complex model in full vehicle model simulations to reduce computation time and effort.
CitationReid, A., Philipps, D., Oijer, F., Johansson, I. et al., "Development of a Modified Off-Road Rigid Ring Tire Model for Heavy Trucks," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0878, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0878.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Alcock , R. , and Wittig V. 1992 An Empirical Method of Predicting Traction Journal of Terramechanics 29 381 394
- Bekker , M.G. 1956 Theory of Land Locomotion The University of Michigan Press
- Brixius , W.W. 1987 Traction Prediction Equations for Bias Ply Tires ASAE Paper No. 87-1662 .
- Chang , Y.P. , and El-Gindy Moustafa 2003 Literature Survey of Transient Dynamic response Tire Models Heavy Vehicle Systems 10 86 111
- El-Gindy , Moustafa , and Chae Seokyong 2004 Progress Report 9 - Determination of Rigid Ring Model Parameters using PSU/Volvo Virtual Truck Tire Model. University Park, Pennsylvania Pennsylvania Transportation Institute
- Loo , M. 1985 A Model Analysis of Tire Behavior Under Vertical Loading and Straight-Line Free Rolling Tire Science and Technology 13 67 90
- Slade , Jeffrey L. 2009 Development of a New Off-Road Rigid Ring Model For Truck Tires Using Finite Element Analysis Techniques. Master's Thesis, Mechanical Engineering The Pennsylvania State University, State College: The Pennsylvania State University
- Wismer , R.D. , and Luth H.J. 1973 Off-Road Traction Prediction for Wheeled Vehicles Journal of Terramechanics 10 49 61
- Wong , J. Y. 2008 Theory of Gound Vehicles. New Jersey John Wiley & Sons
- Zegelarr , P. W. A. , and Pacejka H. B. 1997 Dynamic Tyre Responses to Brake Torque Variations Vehicle System Dynamics Supplement 27 65 79