This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Effects of Constituent Properties on Performance Improvement of a Quenching and Partitioning Steel
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, a two-dimensional microstructure-based finite element modeling method is adopted to investigate the effects of material parameters of the constituent phases on the macroscopic tensile behavior of Q&P steel and to perform a computational material design approach for performance improvement. For this purpose, a model Q&P steel is first produced and various experiments are then performed to characterize the model steel. Actual microstructure-based model is generated based on the information from EBSD, SEM and nano-indentation test, and the material properties for the constituent phases in the model are determined based on the initial constituent properties from HEXRD test and the subsequent calibration of model predictions to tensile test results. The influence of various material parameters of the constituents on the macroscopic behavior is then investigated. Based on the observation of the respective influence of constituent material parameters, a new set of material parameters is devised, which results in better ductility performance. The results indicate that various material parameters may need to be concurrently adjusted in a cohesive way in order to improve the performance of Q&P steels. In summary, higher austenite stability, less strength difference between the phases, and higher hardening exponents of the phases are generally beneficial for performance improvement. The information from this study can be used to devise new Q&P heat-treating parameters to produce Q&P steels with improved performance.
- Mark Taylor - Colorado School of Mines
- Emmanuel De Moor - Colorado School of Mines
- John Speer - Colorado School of Mines
- David Matlock - Colorado School of Mines
- Kyoo Sil Choi - Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Xiaohua Hu - Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
- Xin Sun - Pacific Northwest National Laboratory
CitationChoi, K., Hu, X., Sun, X., Taylor, M. et al., "Effects of Constituent Properties on Performance Improvement of a Quenching and Partitioning Steel," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0812, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0812.
- De Moor , E. , Gibbs , P.J. , Speer , J.G. , Matlock , D.K. et al. Strategies for Third-Generation Advanced High-Strength Steel Development Iron Steel Technol. 7 11 133 144 2010
- Speer , J.G. , De Moor , E. , Findley , K.O. , Matlock , D.K. et al. Analysis of Microstructure Evolution in Quenching and Partitioning Automotive Sheet Steel Metall. Mat. Trans. A 42 12 3591 3601 2011 10.1007/s11661-011-0869-7
- Edmonds , D.V. , He , K. , Rizzo , F.C. , De Cooman , B.C. et al. Quenching and Partitioning - A Novel Steel Heat Treatment Mater. Sci. Eng. A 438-440 25 34 2006 10.1016/j.msea.2006.012.133
- Choi , K.S. , Liu , W.N. , Sun , X. , Khaleel , M.A. et al. Advanced Micromechanical Model for Transformation-Induced Plasticity Steels with Application of In-Situ High-Energy X-Ray Diffraction Method Metall. Mat. Trans. A 39 13 3089 3096 2008 10.1007/s11661-008-9649-4
- Choi , K.S. , Liu , W.N. , Sun , X. , Khaleel , M.A. Microsturcture-based Constitutive Modeling of TRIP Steel: Prediction of Ductility and Failure Modes under Different Loading Conditions Acta Mater. 57 8 2592 2604 2009 10.1016/j.actamat.2009.02.020
- Sun , X. , Choi , K.S. , Liu , W.N. , Khaleel , M.A. Predicting Failure Modes and Ductility of Dual Phase Steels Using Plastic Strain Localization Int. J. Plast. 25 10 1888 1909 2009 10.1016/j.ijplas.2008.12.012
- Choi , K.S. , Soulami , A. , Liu , W.N. , Sun , X. et al. Influence of Various Material Design Parameters on Deformation Behaviors of TRIP Steels Comput. Mater. Sci. 50 2 720 730 2010 10.1016/j.commatsci.2010.10.002
- De Moor , E. , Speer , J. G. , Matlock , D.K. , Kwak , J.-H. et al. Effect of Carbon and Manganese on the Quenching and Partitioning Response of CMnSi Steels ISIJ International 51 1 137 144 2011 10.2355/isijinternational.51.137
- De Moor , E. , Speer , J. G. , Matlock , D.K. , Kwak , J.-H. et al. Quenching and Partitioning of CMnSi Steels Containing Elevated Manganese Levels Steel Res. Int. 83 4 322 327 2012 10.1002/srin.201100318
- Taylor , M.D. Effect of Microstructure on the Fracture Response of Advanced High Strength Steels M.S. Thesis Colorado School of Mines Golden, CO 2013