This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Assessment of Different Joining Techniques for Dissimilar Materials
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In this paper, experimental study and FEA simulation are performed to investigate the effect of three different methods for joining dissimilar metal coupons in terms of their strength and load transferring capacity. The joining techniques considered include adhesive bonding, bolting and hybrid bolting-and-bonding. Elastic-plastic material model with damage consideration is used for each of the joint components. Traction-separation rule and failure criterion is defined for adhesive. Load transfer capacity and the failure mode are assessed for each type of joining. Joint strength is examined in terms of the effects of adhesive property, bolt preload level, and friction coefficient. Results show that load transferred and failure mechanism vary significantly between samples with different joint methods; preload evolution in bolt changes with friction coefficient; hybrid joint generally has advantage over the other two methods, namely, bolting-only and bonding-only. With appropriate damage model, the FEA could successfully simulate the actual failure mode of the single slap joint samples.
|Technical Paper||Self-Tapping Fasteners for Lightweight Designs|
|Technical Paper||Comparative Studies of Adhesive Joints in Automotive|
CitationMao, J. and Nassar, S., "Assessment of Different Joining Techniques for Dissimilar Materials," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0790, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0790.
- Hart-Smith , L. 1973 Adhesive-Bonded Single-Lap Joints NASA Langley Report No. CR-112236 Douglas Aircraft Co.
- Nassar , S. A. , Mao , J. , Yang , X. , & Templeton , D. 2013 Cylindrical Bending of Bonded Layered Thick Composites Composite Materials and Joining Technologies for Composites 7 59 69 Springer New York
- Whitney , J. M. , Browning , C. E. , and Hoogsteden , W. 1982 A double cantilever beam test for characterizing mode I delamination of composite materials Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 1 4 297 313
- Mao , J. , Nassar , S. A. , & Yang , X. 2013 A Model for Fracture Characterization of Adhesively-Bonded Joints Composite Materials and Joining Technologies for Composites 7 81 91 Springer New York
- Nassar , S. , Mao , J. , Yang , X. , and Templeton , D. 2012 A Damage Model for Adhesively Bonded Single-Lap Thick Composite Joints Journal of Engineering Materials and Technology 134 041004
- Nassar , S. , Mao , J. , Yang , X. , and Templeton , D. 2011 Effect of Adhesives on the Mechanical Behavior of Thick Composite Joints ASME Pressure Vessels and Piping Conference (PVP2011) Baltimore, Maryland, USA
- Hart-Smith , L. J. 1985 Bonded-bolted composite joints Journal of Aircraft 22 11 993 1000
- Hart-Smith L.J. 1982 Design methodology for bonded-bolted composite joints Technical Report AFWAL-TR-81-3154 Douglas Aircraft Company
- Kelly G. 2005 Load transfer in hybrid (bolted/bonded) composite single-lap joints Composite Structure 69 1 35 43
- Kelly G. 2006 Quasi-static strength and fatigue life of hybrid (bonded/bolted) composite single-lap joints Composite Structure 72 119 129
- Shen , J. , Mao , J. , Reyes , G. , Chow , C. Boileau , J. , and Su , X. 2009 A Multiresolution Transformation Rule of Material Defects International Journal of Damage Mechanics 18 739 758
- Kalpakjian , S. , and Schmid , S. 2007 Manufacturing processes for engineering materials Prentice Hall 5th