This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Three Dimensional Transient Analysis of the Climate Inside a Passenger Vehicle Cabin under Solar Load
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The climate inside a vehicle cabin is affected by the performance of the vehicle HVAC system, the thermal characteristics of the vehicle structure and the components, as well as the external environmental conditions. Due to the complex interactions among these various factors, the flow field and the temperature distribution can be very complicated. The need for a fully three-dimensional transient analysis is increasing in order to provide sufficiently detailed information that can be used to improve the vehicle design.
In this study, a numerical simulation methodology to predict the local climate conditions in a passenger vehicle cabin is presented. The convective heat transfer from both the exterior and the interior of the cabin were calculated by three dimensional CFD simulations using a Lattice-Boltzmann method based flow solver. The conduction and the radiation effects including the solar loading were solved using a finite-difference based radiation-conduction thermal solver. The coupling strategy between the two solvers was optimized in order to achieve a good balance between the desired solution accuracy and the simulation turn-around time.
The air and wall temperature distributions calculated by the simulation methodology are compared with available climatic wind tunnel data measured for a C-segment passenger vehicle undergoing a pre-defined test cycle. The comparison shows a good agreement and also demonstrates the potential of the simulation methodology as a useful tool in the vehicle HVAC design/engineering process.
CitationBhambare, K., Fukuyama, J., Han, J., Masuzawa, K. et al., "Three Dimensional Transient Analysis of the Climate Inside a Passenger Vehicle Cabin under Solar Load," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0702, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0702.
- Rugh , J. , Chaney , L. , Lustbader , J. , and Meyer , J. Reduction in Vehicle Temperatures and Fuel Use from Cabin Ventilation, Solar-Reflective Paint, and a New Solar-Reflective Glazing SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1194 2007 10.4271/2007-01-1194
- Bharathan D. , Chaney L. , Farrington R.B. , Lustbader J. et al. An Overview of Vehicle Test and Analysis from NREL's A/C Fuel Use Reduction Research 2007 VTMS (Vehicle Thermal Management Systems)
- Fujita A. , Kanemaru J. , Nakagawa H. , Ozeki Y. Numerical Simulation Method to Predict the Thermal Environment inside a Car Cabin JSAE Review 22 1 January 2001 39 47
- Wang Z. , Han J. , Alajbegovic A. , Kuthada T. et al. Long Term Transient Cabin Heating Simulation with Multiple Fluid Node Approach 2013 VTMS (Vehicle Thermal Management Systems)
- Wang , Z. , Alajbegovic , A. , Han , J. , Donley , T. et al. Long Term Transient Cooling of Heavy Vehicle Cabin Compartments SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-2018 2010 10.4271/2010-01-2018
- Huang , L. and Han , T. Validation of 3-D Passenger Compartment Hot Soak and Cool-Down Analysis for Virtual Thermal Comfort Engineering SAE Technical Paper 2002-01-1304 2002 10.4271/2002-01-1304
- Ye , T. A Multidisciplinary Numerical Modeling Tool Integrating CFD and Thermal System Simulation for Automotive HVAC System Design SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0644 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0644
- Rok S. H. , Pastohr H. A real time numerical analysis of vehicle coold-down performance 2008 VTMS (Vehicle Thermal Management Systems)
- Bhambare K. , Zvonek J. , Alajbegovic A. , and Chaney L. Cabin Cooldown Simulation for Optimal Design of HVAC Oral Presentation at SAE 2013 Thermal Management Systems Symposium Oct. 2013
- PowerFLOW User's Guide, 4.3c 2010 Exa Corporation Boston, Massachusetts
- Bhatnagar , P. L. , Gross , E. P. and Krook , M. 1954 A Model for Collision Processes in Gases. I. Small Amplitude processes in Charged and Neutral One-component System Phys. Rev. 94 511 525
- Li , Y. , Shock , R. , Zhang , R. , Chen , H. 2004 Numerical Study of Flow Past an Impulsively Started Cylinder by Lattice Boltzmann Method J. Fluid Mechanics 273 300
- Zhou , Y. , Zhang , R. Staroselsky , I. and Chen , H. 2004 Numerical simulation of laminar and turbulent buoyancy-driven flows using a lattice Boltzmann based algorithm Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 47 4869 4879
- Fares , E. 2006 Unsteady Flow Simulation of the Ahmed Reference Body using a Lattice Boltzmann Approach Comput. Fluids 35 940 950
- Pervaiz , M. , Teixeira , C. 1999 Two Equation Turbulence Modeling with the Lattice-Boltzmann Method ASME PVP Division Conference Boston
- Teixeira , C. 1998 Incorporating Turbulence Models into the Lattice-Boltzmann Method International Journal of Modern Physics C 9 8 1159 1175
- PowerTHERM Users Guide, PowerTHERM 10.0 2010 Thermo Analytics, Inc. 23440 Airpark Blvd, Calumet, MI 49913