This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Comparison of CO 2 and R134a Two-Phase Ejector Performance for Use in Automotive Air Conditioning Applications
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Two-phase ejectors are devices capable of recovering the expansion power that is lost by the throttling process in air conditioning cycles, resulting in improved system performance. High-pressure fluids such as CO2 have received the majority of attention in two-phase ejector studies in recent years due to the fluid's high throttling loss and high potential for improvement. However, low-pressure working fluids such as R134a, commonly used in automotive applications, have received considerably less attention owing to their lower recovery potential. While the two fluids have very different properties, both offer the potential for noticeable COP improvement with ejector cycles. Thus, understanding the operation and performance of ejectors with both fluids can be important to the design of ejector air conditioning cycles.
This paper compares available experimental data for the performance of two-phase ejectors using CO2 and R134a. CO2 ejectors are capable of recovering a greater amount of power than R134a due to CO2's larger throttling loss as well as the ability of CO2 ejectors to recover a larger portion of the available power. Possible explanations for the difference in ejector performance between the two fluids are discussed. The actual amount of expansion power recovered by ejectors with the two fluids is used to obtain realistic estimates of the COP improvement that ejector cycles with the two fluids can achieve. These estimates show good agreement with the reported actual COP improvements of two-phase ejector cycles.
CitationLawrence, N. and Elbel, S., "Comparison of CO2 and R134a Two-Phase Ejector Performance for Use in Automotive Air Conditioning Applications," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0689, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0689.
- Elbel , S. and Hrnjak , P. Experimental Validation of a Prototype Ejector Designed to Reduce Throttling Losses Encountered in Transcritical R744 System Operation Int. J. of Refrigeration 31 411 422 2008
- Lee , J. S. , Kim , M. S. , and Kim , M. S. Experimental Study on the Improvement of CO2 Air Conditioning System Using an Ejector Int. J. of Refrigeration 34 1614 1625 2011
- Nakagawa , M. , Marasigan , A. R. , and Matsukawa , T. Experimental Analysis on the Effect of Internal Heat Exchanger in Transcritical CO 2 Refrigeration Cycle with Two-Phase Ejector Int. J. of Refrigeration 34 1577 1586 2011
- Lawrence , N. , and Elbel , S. Experimental Investigation of a Two-Phase Ejector Cycle Suitable for use with Low-Pressure Refrigerants R134a and R1234yf Int. J. of Refrigeration 2013 10.1016/j.ijrefrig.2013.08.009
- Oshitani , H. , Yamanaka , Y. , Takeuchi , H. , Kusano , K. , Ikegami , M. , Takano , Y. , Ishizaka , N. , and Sugiura , T. Vapor Compression Cycle Having Ejector U.S. Patent Application Publication US2005/0268644 A1 2005
- Lawrence , N. , and Elbel , S. Theoretical and Practical Comparison of Two-Phase Ejector Cycles Including First and Second Law Analysis Int. J. of Refrigeration 36 1220 1232 2013
- Liu , F. , Groll , E. A. , Li , D. Investigation on Performance of Variable Geometry Ejectors for CO 2 Refrigeration Cycles Energy 45 829 839 2012
- Lucas , C. , Koehler , J. , Schroeder , A. , Tischendorf , C. Experimentally Validated CO 2 Ejector Operation Characteristic Used in a Numerical Investigation of Ejector Cycle Int. J. of Refrigeration 36 881 891 2013
- Chunnanond , K. , and Aphornratana , S. Ejectors: Applications in Refrigeration Technology Renew. and Sustain. Energy Reviews 8 129 155 2004
- American Society of Heating, Refrigerating, and Air Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE) Equipment Handbook, Chapter 13 Steam Jet Refrigeration 1983 Atlanta, GA, USA
- Nakagawa , M. , and Takeuchi , H. Performance of Two-Phase Ejector in Refrigeration Cycle 3rd Int. Conf. on Multiphase Flow 1998 Lyon, France
- Butrymowicz , D. , Karwacki , J. , and Trela , M. Investigation of Two-Phase Ejector in Application to Compression Refrigeration Systems IIR Int. Conf. on Thermophysical Properties 2005 Vicenza, Italy
- Cunningham , R. G. , and Dopkin , R. J. Jet Breakup and Mixing Throat Lengths for the Liquid Jet Gas Pump Trans. ASME J. Fluid Eng. 96 216 226 1974
- Lawrence , N. and Elbel , S. Experimental and Analytical Investigation of Two-Phase Ejector Air-Conditioning Cycles Using Low-Pressure Refrigerants R134a and R1234yf SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-1495 2013 10.4271/2013-01-1495
- Banasiak , K. , Hafner , A. , and Andresen , T. Experimental and Numerical Investigation of the Influence of the Two-Phase Ejector Geometry on the Performance of the R744 Heat Pump Int. J. of Refrigeration 35 1617 1625 2012