This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Optimization of HVAC Panel Aiming Studies using Parametric Modeling and Automated Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In an Automotive air conditioning system, the air flow distribution in the cabin from the HVAC (Heating, ventilation and air conditioning), ducts and outlets is evaluated by the velocity achieved at driver and passenger mannequin aim points. Multiple simulation iterations are being carried out before finalizing the design of HVAC panel duct and outlets until the target velocity is achieved. In this paper, a parametric modeling of the HVAC outlet is done which includes primary and secondary vane creation using CATIA. Java macro files are created for simulation runs in STAR CCM+. ISIGHT is used as an interface tool between CATIA and STARCCM+. The vane limits of outlet and the target velocity to be achieved at mannequin aim points are defined as the boundary conditions for the analysis. Based on the optimization technique and the number of iterations defined in ISIGHT, the vane angle model gets updated automatically in CATIA followed by the simulation runs in STARCCM+. Based on the results vane angle will get updated and the iterations continues automatically till the target velocity is met at the aim points. The result is compared with the test data and correlated well. Successful validation of the process has led to the application of this methodology during the design phase of new programs. This process significantly aids in reducing the manual effort of design and the simulation runs are automated resulting in the overall reduction of timing required for the panel aiming studies.
CitationVasanth, B., Bright, J., Reddy, P., S, S. et al., "Optimization of HVAC Panel Aiming Studies using Parametric Modeling and Automated Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0684, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0684.
- ISIGHT 5.5 User manual
- Qian , C. and Yuan , C. An Integrated Process of CFD Analysis and Design Optimization with Underhood Thermal Application 2001-01-0637 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0637
- Hill , W. and Sringari , S. A Parametric Approach for Rapid Design and Analysis of Automotive HVAC Defrost Systems 2001-01-0584 2001 10.4271/2001-01-0584
- CATIA V5 User manual
- STAR CCM 7.06 Help documents
- Farag , A. and Huang , L. CFD Analysis and Validation of Automotive Windshield De-Icing Simulation 2003-01-1079 2003 10.4271/2003-01-1079
- Gaikwad , S. , Arora , K. , Korivi , V. , and Cho , S. Steady and Transient CFD Approach for Port Optimization SAE Int. J. Mater. Manuf. 1 1 754 762 2008 10.4271/2008-01-1430
- Wang , T. , Huang , M. , Lewitzke , C. , Zhang , Q. et al. Multi Objective Robust Optimization for Idle Performance 2006-01-0757 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0757
- Jairazbhoy Vivek A. , Wang LeeAnn , Shahabi Mehran , Nimbalkar Ravi , et al. Optimization of airflow through a heat exchanger in an automotive HVAC 3rd ANSA &μETA International Conference