This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Vehicle Thermal Management Simulation Method Integrated in the Development Process from Scratch to Prototype
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In order to meet current and future emission and CO2 targets, an efficient vehicle thermal management system is one of the key factors in conventional as well as in electrified powertrains. Furthermore the increasing number of vehicle configurations leads to a high variability and degrees of freedom in possible system designs and the control thereof, which can only be handled by a comprehensive tool chain of vehicle system simulation and a generic control system architecture.
The required model must comprise all relevant systems of the vehicle (control functionality, cooling system, lubrication system, engine, drive train, HV components etc.). For proper prediction with respect to energy consumption all interactions and interdependencies of those systems have to be taken into consideration, i.e. all energy fluxes (mechanical, hydraulically, electrical, thermal) have to be exchanged among the system boundaries accordingly.
However, it is very important that the level of detail of the VTMS model fits to the current phase of the vehicle development process. In course of the development process the availability of input data as well as the required engineering targets differ significantly. In order to realize an efficient workflow a seamless modeling environment is essential, which is applicable throughout all phases of the vehicle development.
CitationTraussnig, A., Petutschnig, H., Ennemoser, A., Stolz, M. et al., "Vehicle Thermal Management Simulation Method Integrated in the Development Process from Scratch to Prototype," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0668, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0668.
- Kitanoski , F. , Puntigam , W. , Kozek , M. , and Hager , J. An Engine Heat Transfer Model for Comprehensive Thermal Simulations SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-0882 2006 10.4271/2006-01-0882
- Lang , G. , Kitanoski , F. , and Kussmann , C. Principal Aspects and Simulation of a Hybrid Demonstrator Vehicle's Cooling System SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-3483 2007 10.4271/2007-01-3483
- AVL BOOST (version 2013) Graz AVL - Advanced Simulation Technologies 2013
- Çengel , Yunus A. Heat Transfer: a Practical Approach Boston McGraw-Hill 2003
- Clamond , Didier Efficient Resolution of the Colebrook Equation ArXiv e-print October 30 2008 http://arxiv.org/abs/0810.5564
- Colebrook , C F. Turbulent Flow in Pipes, with Particular Reference to the Transition Region Between the Smooth and Rough Pipe Laws Journal of the ICE 11 4 February 1 1939 133 156 10.1680/ijoti.1939.13150
- Chang , Yu-Juei , and Wang Chi-Chuan A Generalized Heat Transfer Correlation for Iouver Fin Geometry International Journal of Heat and Mass Transfer 40 3 February 1997 533 544 10.1016/0017-9310(96)00116-0
- Dixon , L. S. , and Hall C. A. Fluid Mechanics and Thermodynamics of Turbomachinery Burlington, MA Butterworth-Heinemann/Elsevier 2010 http://www.knovel.com/knovel2/Toc.jsp?BookID=3264
- Gesellschaft Verfahrenstechnik und Chemieingenieurwesen, and Verein Deutscher Ingenieure VDI-Wärmeatlas Berlin [u.a.] Springer Vieweg 2013
- Kays , William Morrow , and London Alexander Louis Compact Heat Exchangers Krieger Pub. Co. 1984
- Martin , Holger Stoffübergangsversuche Und Strömungstechnische Berechnungen Zur Ermittlung Einer Optimalen Schlitzdüsenanordnung Für Prallstrahltrockner 1973
- Miller , Donald S. Internal Flow Systems BHRA, Fluid Engineering Centre 1990
- Moody , Lewis F. Friction Factors for Pipe Flow Trans. Asme 66 8 1944 671 684
- Petutschnig , Heinz , Puntigam Wolfgang , and Hörmann Thomas Thermal Calculation of Cooling Systems Within the Vehicle Development Process with Numerical 1D-, 3D-Simulation Tool Salzburg 2005
- Petutschnig , Heinz , and Puntigam Wolfgang Numerical Thermal Analysis Using a Comprehensive Simulation Model and Its Experimental Validation Yokohama, Japan 2006
- Sams , Theodor , Petutschnig Heinz , Putz Gerhard , Schwab Peter , and Tizianel Mauro Model Based Thermal Management for Optimization of Fuel Consumption and Emissions - Commercial Vehicle Applications Graz 2011
- Schmidt , ThE. Heat Transfer Calculations for Extended Surfaces Refrigeration Engineering April 1949 351 357
- Shah , R. K. , and Focke W. W. Plate Heat Exchangers and Their Design Theory Heat Transfer Equipment Design 227 1988
- Welty , James R. Fundamentals of Momentum, Heat, and Mass Transfer Danver, MA Wiley 2008
- Sepp , Steiner Development of Real-Time Capable VTMS Model Diploma Thesis Graz Graz University of Technology 2013