This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Water Cooling System Analysis of Permanent Magnet Traction Motor of Mining Electric-Drive Dump Truck
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 1, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The large power mining dump truck usually has electric drive system for the harsh operating conditions of mining. The traction motor and multi-stage reducer are assembled in the limited space of the two rear wheels. The permanent magnet motor is often used as traction motor for its much advantage characteristic. However, the permanent magnet is particularly sensitive to the high temperatures since it can loose a part of magnetization when it is exposed to a high temperature. It is necessary to have better cooling system for improvement thermal performance of permanent magnet (PM) motor. The heat losses generated by permanent magnet motor in the off-road electric driving truck are cooled by the water to maintain the motor working effectively. This paper is focus on analyzing the thermal behavior of the PM motor numerically and experimentally. The 2-D transient temperature field of motor is investigated based on different losses of the permanent magnet motor which is determined by the magnetic field analysis. The water cooling housings with different channel layout are compared with the synthetic evaluation index which reflecting the comprehensive efficiency of cooling system. The 3-D CFD model of water cooling housing is developed to present the velocity and temperature field of the cooling water flowing in the circumferential channel. The temperatures of different part of PM motor with water-cooling housing are measured under different operating conditions. The experimental results show the validation and effectiveness of the simulation model in predicting thermal characteristics of the traction motor.
CitationShen, Y. and Jin, C., "Water Cooling System Analysis of Permanent Magnet Traction Motor of Mining Electric-Drive Dump Truck," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0662, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0662.
- Han-fei LI, Yu-nan ZHANG, Nan-ming YAN, etc. Simulation of Permanent Magnet Synchronous Motor Temperature Field in Electric Transmission System of Armored Vehicles. Small & Special Electrical Machines, 2009,9: 23-26.
- Huai Ying, Melnik Roderick V.N., Thogersen Paul B.. Computational analysis of temperature rise phenomena in electric induction motors[J]. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2003, 23: 779-795.
- Seghir-Oualil Souhil, Harmand Souad, Laloy Daniel. Study of the thermal behavior of a synchronous motor with permanent magnets, International Journal of Engineering, 2009, 3(3): 229-256.
- Chien C.H., Jang J.Y.. 3-D numerical and experimental analysis of a built-in motorized high-speed spindle with helical water cooling channel[J]. Applied Thermal Engineering, 2008,28: 2327-2336.
- JinXin, Fan, ChengNing, Zhang, ZhiFu, Wang. Thermal analysis of water cooled surface mount permanent magnet electric motor for electric vehicle[C]. Electrical Machines and Systems (ICEMS), 2010 International Conference, Incheon, Korea, 2010.
- Chin Y.K., Staton D.A.. Transient thermal analysis using both lumped circuit approach and finite element method of a permanent magnet traction motor [J]. South African Institute of Electrical Engineers, 2006, 97(4): 263-273.
- Staton D.A., Cavagnino A. Convection Heat Transfer and Flow Calculations Suitable for Analytical Modelling of Electric Machines, IEEE Industrial Electronics, IECON 2006 - 32nd Annual Conference, 2006, doi:10.1109/IECON.2006.348143.
- Zhang, Y., Shen, Y., and Zhang, W., “Optimized Design of the Cooling System for an Articulated Dump Truck's Electric Drive System,” SAE Technical Paper 2010-01-0504, 2010, doi:10.4271/2010-01-0504.
- Kim S.C., KIM W., KIM M.S.. Cooling Performance of 25KW in-wheel Motor For Electric Vehicles, International Journal of Automotive Technology, Vol.14, No.4, 2013: 559-567.