This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling of a Thermal Management Platform of an Automotive D.I Diesel Engine to Predict the Impact of Downsizing and Hybridization during a Cold Start
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
This content contains downloadable datasetsAnnotation ability available
Thermal management is a key issue to minimize fuel consumption while dealing with pollutant emissions. It paves the way for developing new methods and tools in order to assess the effects of warm up phase with different drivetrains architectures and to define the most suitable solution to manage oil and coolant temperatures.
DEVICE (Downsized hybrid Diesel Engine for Very low fuel ConsumptIon and CO2 Emissions) project consists in designing hybrid powertrain to cut off significantly CO2 emissions. It combines a 2-cylinder engine with an electric motor and a 7-gear dual clutch transmission. Hybridization and downsizing offer a great improvement of fuel economy and it is valuable to study their effects on thermal management. Hence, a dedicated AMESim platform is developed to model the fluids temperatures as well as the energy balance changes due to the powertrain architecture.
After using a 4-cylinder reference engine to validate the model, the warm up phase (comparing hot and cold start NEDC) leads to a 12% fuel consumption penalty with DEVICE powertrain. Hybridization and downsizing save up respectively 7% and 11% on cold start (20°C) NEDC. Since energy balance is changed compared to reference engine, new technologies, such as electric water pump, resizing oil/water exchanger and so on, should be used to enhance fuel economy and the modelling platform enables to study their effects.
|Journal Article||Waste Heat Energy Harvesting for Improving Vehicle Efficiency|
|Technical Paper||Performance of Ancillary Systems of 2014+ Le Mans LMP1-H Vehicles and Optimization|
CitationRabeau, F. and Magand, S., "Modeling of a Thermal Management Platform of an Automotive D.I Diesel Engine to Predict the Impact of Downsizing and Hybridization during a Cold Start," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0657, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0657.
Data Sets - Support Documents
|Unnamed Dataset 1|
- Melzer , F. , Hesse , U. , Rocklage , G. , and Schmitt , M. Thermomanagement SAE Technical Paper 1999-01-0238 1999 10.4271/1999-01-0238
- Taklanti , A. , Ap , N. , Meillir , N. , Tazerout , R. and Menegazzi , P. Project PREDIT CARE - « Chauffages Additionnels et Réduction des Emissions » CARESYNVCC-002-A 2009
- Heywood , J. B. Internal Combustion Engine Fundamentals McGraw-Hill, Inc. USA 0-07-028637-X 1988
- Trapy , J. and Damiral , P. An Investigation of Lubricating System Warm-up for the Improvement of Cold Start Efficiency and Emissions of S.I. Automotive Engines SAE Technical Paper 902089 1990 10.4271/902089
- Jarrier , L. , Champoussin , J. , Yu , R. , and Gentile , D. Warm-Up of a D.I. Diesel Engine: Experiment and Modeling SAE Technical Paper 2000-01-0299 2000 10.4271/2000-01-0299
- Sacadura . J.F Initiation aux transferts thermiques Editions TEC & DOC 2-8506-618-1 2000
- Shayler , P. , Christian , S. , and Ma , T. A Model for the Investigation of Temperature, Heat Flow and Friction Characteristics During Engine Warm-Up SAE Technical Paper 931153 1993 10.4271/931153
- Shayler , P. , Leong , D. , and Murphy , M. Contributions to Engine Friction During Cold, Low Speed Running and the Dependence on Oil Viscosity SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-1654 2005 10.4271/2005-01-1654
- Will , F. and Boretti , A. A New Method to Warm Up Lubricating Oil to Improve the Fuel Efficiency During Cold Start SAE Int. J. Engines 4 1 175 187 2011 10.4271/2011-01-0318
- Bosch Automotive Handbook 2 nd 1986
- Andrews , G. , Ounzain , A. , Li , H. , Bell , M. et al. The Use of a Water/Lube Oil Heat Exchanger and Enhanced Cooling Water Heating to Increase Water and Lube Oil Heating Rates in Passenger Cars for Reduced Fuel Consumption and CO2 Emissions During Cold Start SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2067 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2067
- Farrant , P. , Robertson , A. , Hartland , J. , and Joyce , S. The Application of Thermal Modelling to an Engine and Transmission to Improve Fuel Consumption Following a Cold Start SAE Technical Paper 2005-01-2038 2005 10.4271/2005-01-2038
- Clough , M. Precision Cooling of a Four Valve per Cylinder Engine SAE Technical Paper 931123 1993 10.4271/931123
- French . C.C.J & Atkins . K.A Thermal loading of a petrol engine 1973 Proc Instn Mech Engrs 187 49/73 561 573
- Wimmer , A. Anwendungsbeispiele der instationarën Wärmestrommessung Proceeding of the 5 th Symposium “The working process of the Internal Combustion Engine 67 September 1995 Graz
- Samhaber , C. , Wimmer , A. , and Loibner , E. Modeling of Engine Warm-Up with Integration of Vehicle and Engine Cycle Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1697 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1697
- Weinowski , R. , Sher , A. , Wedowki , S. , Heuer , S. , Hamm , T. and Tiemann , C. 30. Internationales Wiener Motorensympsium 2009, “Future downsizing of S.I engines - potentials and limits of 2- and 3- cylinder concepts” 2009
- Schernus , C. , Dieterich , C. , Nebbia , C. , Sehr , A. et al. Turbocharging of Downsized Gasoline DI Engines with 2 and 3 Cylinders SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0138 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0138
- Gagliardi , D. and Wren , C. Diesel Hybrid Powertrain for passenger and light commercial vehicles MTZ March 2011
- Ferrari , A. , Morra , E. , Spessa , E. , Ciaravino , C. et al. Analysis of Energy-Efficient Management of a Light-Duty Parallel-Hybrid Diesel Powertrain with a Belt Alternator Starter SAE Technical Paper 2011-24-0080 2011 10.4271/2011-24-0080
- Kunze , K. , Wolff , S. , Lade , I. , and Tonhauser , J. A Systematic Analysis of CO2-Reduction by an Optimized Heat Supply during Vehicle Warm-up SAE Technical Paper 2006-01-1450 2006 10.4271/2006-01-1450
- Ribeiro , E. , de Andrade Filho , A. , and de Carvalho Meira , J. Electric water pump for engine cooling SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-2785 2007 10.4271/2007-01-2785
- Blake , D. , Postlethwaite , I. , Barker , P. , Hannewald , M. et al. Thermal Management of a Hybrid Vehicle 2007
- Burke , R. Systems approach to the improvement of engine warm-up behaviour ImechE Vol 225 Part D: J. Automobile Engineering
- Higashitani , M. , Yamada , K. , Yoshijima , K. and Kobayashi , H. Dual-Chamber oil pan for improved engine warm-up performance MTZ Dec. 2012
- Magand , S. , Sciarretta , A. , and Sinoquet , D. Modular Methodology to Optimize Innovative Drivetrains SAE Technical Paper 2013-24-0080 2013 10.4271/2013-24-0080