This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Numerical Simulation of Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer in Finned Tube Heat Exchanger: Comparison of Two Different Designs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The performance of an automobile engine depends on the adequate heat rejection through the radiator assembly. Despite of the existence of well-known theoretical models for various heat transfer applications, design of heat exchanger devices demands tremendous experimental work and effort.
This study concerns the use of computational fluid dynamics (CFD) to analyze the heat transfer and fluid flow in finned tube heat exchangers which are widely used in automotive industries. Here, two different types of the finned tube heat exchangers were studied using the Star-CCM+ commercial CFD package. Because of the symmetric nature of the geometry, only a single fin was considered in simulations. Two different designs of finned tube heat exchanger were considered in the analysis and major attention was given to the fin configurations, louvers number and louvers angle.
Although the contact surface of the fin to the coolant tube is different, the thermal performance was not affected under present steady state analysis. Pressure drop and heat rejection of both fin designs were compared and discussed at various air flow speed representing different vehicle velocity. Also, the simulation results were compared to the test data and good agreement was observed.
CitationChang, S., Goldasteh, I., Maaita, S., and Mathur, G., "Numerical Simulation of Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer in Finned Tube Heat Exchanger: Comparison of Two Different Designs," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0650, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0650.
- Webb , R.L. Advances in air-cooled heat exchanger technology Proceedings of the International Conference on Heat Exchangers for Sustainable Development Lisbon, Portugal 1998 677 92
- Achaichia , A. , Cowell , T.A. Heat transfer and pressure drop characteristics of flat and louvered plate fin surface Exp Thermal and Fluid Sci 1988 1 147 57
- Yuan , Y. , Jackson , A. , and Nelson , M. CFD Simulation of Flow and Heat Transfer in Airways SAE Technical Paper 2001-01-1712 2001 10.4271/2001-01-1712
- Junjanna , C. , Kulasekharan , N. , Purushotham , H.R. Performance Improvement Of A Louver-Finned Automobile Radiator Using Conjugate Thermal CFD Analysis International Journal of Engineering Research & Technology (IJERT) 1 8 October 2012 2278-0181
- Chen , J. A. , Wang , D. F. , and Zheng , L.Z. Experimental study of operating performance of a tube-and-fin radiator for vehicles Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering 215.8 2001 911 918
- Sridhara , S. N. , Shankapal S. R. , and Umesh Babu V. CFD Analysis of Fluid Flow and Heat Transfer in a Single Tube-Fin Arrangement of an Automotive Radiator International Conference on Mechanical Engineering, ICME2005 2005
- Goldasteh , I. , Ahmadi , G. , and Ferro , A. R. Monte Carlo simulation of micron size spherical particle removal and resuspension from substrate under fluid flows Journal of Aerosol Science 66 2013 62 71
- Goldasteh , I. , Ahmadi , G. , and Ferro , A. R. A model for removal of compact, rough, irregularly shaped particles from surfaces in turbulent flows The Journal of Adhesion 88.9 2012 766 786
- Izadi , M. , Aidun , D. K. , Marzoccaa , P. , and Leeb , H. Integrated experimental investigation of seawater composite fouling effect on the 90/10 Cu/Ni tube Applied Thermal Engineering 31.14 2011 2464 2473