This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
PCM Evaporator with Thermosiphon
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
With more vehicles adopting fuel-saving engine start-stop routines and with the number of hybrid and electric vehicles on the rise, automotive A/C (air conditioning) systems are facing a challenge to maintain passenger comfort during the time when the compressor is inactive due to engine shut down. Using PCM (Phase Change Material) in the evaporator enables it to store cold when the compressor is active and release it to the cooling air stream when the compressor is not running. A unique feature of Delphi's design is that a refrigerant thermosiphon mechanism inside the evaporator drives the energy transport between the PCM and air stream.
Delphi's PCM evaporator extends comfort for short duration idle stops, reduces emissions, and increases fuel economy and electric drive range. In this paper, the design aspects of a thermosiphon based PCM cold storage evaporator are described and the performance and operation of the PCM evaporator in a MAC (Mobile Air Conditioning) system discussed.
CitationKowsky, C., Wolfe, E., Chowdhury, S., Ghosh, D. et al., "PCM Evaporator with Thermosiphon," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0634, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0634.
- Perkins , J. UK Patent No. 7059 1836
- Gaugler , R. S. US Patent No. 2350348 1942
- Grover , G. M. US Patent No. 3229759 1963
- Reay , D. A. and Kew , P. A. Heat Pipes: Theory, Design and Applications 5th Burlington Butterworth-Heinemann 2006
- Faghri , A. Review and Advanced in Heat Pipe Science and Technology ASME J. of Heat Transfer 134 2012
- Faghri , A. Heat Pipe Science and Technology 1995
- Garrity , P. T. A Flow Boiling Microchannel Thermosyphon for Fuel Cell Thermal Management Thesis University of Florida 2009
- Khandekar , S. , Joshi , Y.M. and Mehta , B. Thermal Performance of Closed Two-phase Thermosyphon using nano-fluids Int. J. of Thermal Sc. 47 659 667 2008
- Jianhui , Y. , Lu , W. , Li , Q. and Zhou , Y. Thermal Hydraulic Stability in a Coaxial Thermosyphon Tsinghua Science and Technology 10 3 391 397 2005
- El-Genk , M. S. and Saber , H. H. Determination of Operation Enveloped for Closed, Two-phase Thermosyphons Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 42 889 903 1999
- Teng , H. , Cheng , P. and Zhao , T. S. Instability of condensate film and capillary blocking in small-diameter-thermosyphon condensers Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 42 3071 3083 1999
- Payakaruk , T. , Terdtoon , P. and Ritthidech , S. Correlation to predict heat transfer characteristics of an inclined closed two-phase thermosyphon at normal operating conditions App. Thermal Eng. 20 781 790 2000
- Sharifi , N. , Wang , S. , Bergman , T.L. and Faghri , A. Heat pipe-assisted melting of phase change material Int. J. of Heat and Mass Transfer 55 3458 3469 2012
- Liu , Z. , Wang , Z. and Ma , C. An experimental study on the heat transfer characteristics of a heat pipe heat exchanger with latent heat storage. Part II: Simultaneous charging/discharging modes Energy Conversion and Management 47 967 991 2006
- Dutil , Y. , Rousse , D. R. , Ben Salah , N. , Lassue , S. et al. A review on phase-change materials: Mathematical modeling and simulations Renewable and Sustainable Energy Reviews 15 112 130 2011
- Socaciu , L. G. Thermal Energy Storage with Phase Change Material Leonardo Electr. J. of Practices and Technologies 11 20 75 98 2012
- Craig , T. , O'Brien , J. , Polisoto , D. and Wolfe , E. Integrated Air Conditioning Evaporator with Phase Change Material for Thermal Storage SAE Automotive Alternate Refrigerant Systems Symposium: Presentation 10AARS-022 2010
- Vreeland , G. S. , Wolfe , E. IV , Lipa , S. , Kadle , P. Evaporator Phase Change Thermosiphon US Patent 20120272679 2012