This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation of Wheel Aerodynamic Resistance of Passenger Cars
ISSN: 1946-3995, e-ISSN: 1946-4002
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Citation: Vdovin, A., Lofdahl, L., and Sebben, S., "Investigation of Wheel Aerodynamic Resistance of Passenger Cars," SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 7(2):639-645, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0606.
- Hucho, W.-H., “Aerodynamics of Road Vehicles,” Society of Automotive Engineers, Inc., Warrendale, PA, ISBN 978-0-7680-0029-0, 1998.
- Mercker, E., Breuer, N., Berneburg, H., and Emmelmann, H., “On the Aerodynamic Interference Due to the Rolling Wheels of Passenger Cars,” SAE Technical Paper 910311, 1991, doi:10.4271/910311.
- Wiedemann, J., “The Influence of Ground Simulation and Wheel Rotation on Aerodynamic Drag Optimization - Potential for Reducing Fuel Consumption,” SAE Technical Paper 960672, 1996, doi:10.4271/960672.
- Pfadenhauer M., Wickern G. and Zwicker K., “On the influence of wheels and tyres on the aerodynamic drag of the vehicles,” in MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics, 1996.
- Wickern, G., Zwicker, K., and Pfadenhauer, M., “Rotating Wheels - Their Impact on Wind Tunnel Test Techniques and on Vehicle Drag Results,” SAE Technical Paper 970133, 1997, doi:10.4271/970133.
- Landström C., Josefsson L., Walker T. and Löfdahl L., “An experimental investigation of wheel design parameters with respect to aerodynamic drag,” in 8th FKFS Conference, Progress in Vehicle Aerodynamics and Thermal Management, Stuttgard, Germany, 2011.
- Modlinger F., Demuth R. and Adams N., “New Directions in the Optimization of the Flow around Wheels and Wheel Arches,” in MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics, Coventry, England, 2008.
- Vdovin, A., Bonitz, S., Landstrom, C., and Lofdahl, L., “Investigation of Wheel Ventilation-Drag using a Modular Wheel Design Concept,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6(1):308-315, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0953.
- Mayer, W. and Wiedemann, J., “The Influence of Rotating Wheels on Total Road Load,” SAE Technical Paper 2007-01-1047, 2007, doi:10.4271/2007-01-1047.
- Mlinaric P. and Sebben S., “Investigation of the Influence of Tyre Deflection and Tyre Contact Patch on CFD Predictions of Aerodynamic Forces on a Passenger Car,” in MIRA International Conference on Vehicle Aerodynamics, Coventry, England, 2008.
- CD-Adapco, StarCCM+ v8.04 manual -> Modelling physics -> Modelling turbulence and transition -> Using Wall treatment Models -> How do I decide on a wall treatment?, 2013.
- Hobeika, T., Sebben, S., and Landstrom, C., “Investigation of the Influence of Tyre Geometry on the Aerodynamics of Passenger Cars,” SAE Int. J. Passeng. Cars - Mech. Syst. 6(1):316-325, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0955.
- Landström, C., Walker, T., Christoffersen, L., and Löfdahl, L., “Influences of Different Front and Rear Wheel Designs on Aerodynamic Drag of a Sedan Type Passenger Car,” SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-0165, 2011, doi:10.4271/2011-01-0165.
- Bonitz S., “An investigation into the aerodynamic ventilation drag incurred by wheel rotation on a passenger car, and its influence on the total road load of the car,” Master Thesis, TU Berlin, Berlin, Germany, 2012.
- Vdovin A., “Investigation of Aerodynamic Resistance of Rotating Wheels on Passenger Cars,” in Thesis for Licentiate of Engineering, Gothenburg, Chalmers Reproservice, 2013.
- Hahnenkamm A., Grilliat J. and Antonio D., “Rotatory and translatory aerodynamic drag of car wheels,” in 13th Stuttgart International Symposium Automotive and Engine Technology, Stuttgart, Springer Vieweg, 2013, pp. 71-83.