This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CAE-Based Prediction of Aero-Vibro-Acoustic Interior Noise Transmission for a Simple Test Vehicle
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The interior noise in a vehicle that is due to flow over the exterior of the vehicle is often referred to as ‘windnoise’. In order to predict interior windnoise it is necessary to characterize the fluctuating surface pressures on the exterior of the vehicle along with vibro-acoustic transmission to the vehicle interior. For example, for greenhouse sources, flow over the A-pillar and side-view mirror typically induces both turbulence and local aeroacoustic sources which then excite the glass, and window seals. These components then transmit noise and vibration to the vehicle interior.
Previous studies by the authors have demonstrated validated CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamics) techniques which give insight into the flow-noise source mechanisms. The studies also made use of post-processing based on temporal and spatial Fourier analysis in order to quantify the amount of energy in the flow at convective and acoustic wavenumbers.
In the present study, the previously validated transient CFD techniques are used to describe sources that are input to frequency-based vibro-acoustic methods in order to predict interior noise. This combined aero-vibro-acoustic simulation approach is supported by an experimental programme initiated by Hyundai Motor Company (HMC) in which measurements of the internal noise were made on a simplified test structure at two speeds (110kph and 130kph), and two yaw conditions (0° and 10°), against which the predicted interior noise levels are compared.
|Technical Paper||Most Efficient Practice of Nearfield Measurements Inside a Car for Improving Acoustic Comfort|
|Book||Vehicle Noise, Vibration, and Sound Quality|
|Technical Paper||Application of Multi-objective Optimization to Exhaust Silencer Design|
CitationMendonca, F., Connelly, T., Bonthu, S., and Shorter, P., "CAE-Based Prediction of Aero-Vibro-Acoustic Interior Noise Transmission for a Simple Test Vehicle," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0592, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0592.
- Chase , D.M. Modeling the wavevector-frequency spectrum of turbulent boundary layer wall pressure Journal of Sound and Vibration 1980 70 1 29 67
- Arguillat B. , Ricot D. , Robert G. and Bailly C. Measurements of the wavenumber-frequency spectrum of wall pressure fluctuations under turbulent flows AIAA-2005-2855, 11th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference Monterey, California May 2005
- Van Herpe F. , Bordji M. , Baresch D. , and Lafon P. Wavenumber-Frequency Analysis of the Wall Pressure Fluctuations in the Wake of a Car Side Mirror AIAA-2011-2936, 17th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference Portland, Oregon June 2011
- Hartmann M. , Ocker J. , Lemke T. , Mutzke A. , Schwarz V. , Tokuno H. , Toppinga R. , Unterlechner P. , Wickern G. Wind Noise caused by the A-pillar and the Side Mirror flow of a Generic Vehicle Model AIAA 2012-2205, 18th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference (33rd AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference) 04 06 June 2012 Colorado Springs, CO
- FFowcs Williams , FJ. E. Surface-pressure fluctuations induced by boundary-layer flow at finite mach number Journal of Fluid Mechanics 1965 22 507 519
- Hyundai Motor Company Idealised Vehicle External Side-window Flow Excitation 2010 Internal Noise Transmission Benchmark 2013
- STAR-CCM+ Release 8, CD-adapco 2013 www.cd-adapco.com
- Mendonca , F. , Shaw , T. , Mueller , A. , Bremner , P. et al. CFD-Based Wave-Number Analysis of Side-View Mirror Aeroacoustics towards Aero-Vibroacoustic Interior Noise Transmission SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0640 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0640
- Smith M.G. , Latorre I. , Bremner P.G. and Mendonça F. Validation Tests for Flow Induced Excitation and Noise Radiation from a Car Window AIAA2012-2201, AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference Colorado Springs June 2012
- Siegert R. , Schwarz V. and Reichenberger J. Numerical Simulation of Aeroacoustic Sound Generated by Generic Bodies Placed on a Plate, Part II - Prediction of Radiated Sound Pressure AIAA Aeroacoustics Conference Bellevue, Washington May 1999
- Mendonça , F. , Read , A. , Imada , F. , and Girardi , V. Efficient CFD Simulation Process for Aeroacoustic Driven Design SAE Technical Paper 2010-36-0545 2010 10.4271/2010-36-0545
- Caraeni M. , Aybay O. and Holst S. Tandem Cylinder and Idealized Side Mirror Far-Field Noise Predictions Using DES and An Efficient Implementation of FW-H Equation AIAA-2011-2843, 17th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference Portland, Oregon June 2011
- Mendonca F. , Allen R. , de Charentenay J. and Kirkham D. CFD Prediction of narrowband and broadband cavity acoustics at M=0.85 AIAA-2003-3303, 9 th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference and Exhibit, Hilton Head South Carolina, USA May 2003
- Allen , R. , and Mendonça , F. DES Validations of Cavity Acoustics over the subsonic to Supersonic Range AIAA-2004-2862, 10 th AIAA/CEAS Aeroacoustics Conference and Exhibit Manchester, UK May 2004
- Spalart , P.R. , Jou , W.H. , Strelets , M. and Allmaras , S.R. 1997 Comments on the Feasibility of LES for Wings, and on a Hybrid RANS/LES Approach First AFOSR International Conference on DNA/LES Ruston, Louisiana, USA 1997
- Travin , A. , Shur , M. , Strelets , M. , Spalart , P. Physical and Numerical Upgrades in the Detached-Eddy Simulation of Complex Turbulent Flows Advances in LES of Complex Flows 239 254 Friedrich P and Rodi W. Kluwer Academic Publishers 2002
- Mendonça , F. Industrial Aeroacoustics Applications LES for Acoustics Cambridge University Press 9780521871440 2007