This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Investigation on Generational Difference of Intracranial Responses Related to Traumatic Brain Injuries Using Age-Specific Human Head/Brain FE Models
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The high frequency of fatal head injuries of elderly people in traffic accidents is one of the important issues in Japan. One of the causes may be vulnerability of the aged brain. While a human head/brain FE model is a useful tool to investigate head injury mechanism, there has not been a research result using a model considering the structural and qualitative changes of the brain by aging. The objective of this study was to clarify the generational difference of intracranial responses related to traumatic brain injuries (TBI) under impact loading.
In this study, the human head/brain FE models in their twenties (20s) and seventies (70s) were used. They were developed by reflecting the age-specific characteristics, such as shape/size and stiffness of brain matter and blood vessels, to the baseline model developed by Global Human Body Models Consortium (GHBMC) LLC. The generational difference of intracranial responses related to TBI, such as cumulative strain damage measure (CSDM), dilatational damage measure (DDM) and elongation of bridging vein (BV), were studied using the models.
From the study of the generational difference of intracranial responses related to TBI, the following were found: 1) CSDM of 70s was 1.05 times greater than that of 20s; 2) DDM of 70s was 0.97 times smaller than that of 20s; 3) Elongation of BV of 70s was 1.04 times greater than that of 20s; and 4) Further investigation is needed, considering both the magnitude of the responses and the tolerance of the tissue when considering the injury risk.
CitationYanaoka, T. and Dokko, Y., "Investigation on Generational Difference of Intracranial Responses Related to Traumatic Brain Injuries Using Age-Specific Human Head/Brain FE Models," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0485, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0485.
- Institute of Traffic Accident Research and Data Analysis Traffic Accident Statistics 2011
- Yanaoka , T. and Dokko , Y. A Parametric Study of Age-Related Factors Affecting Intracranial Responses under Impact Loading Using a Human Head/Brain FE Model Proceedings of IRCOBI conference 444 455 2013
- Hardy , W.N. , Foster , C. , Mason , M. , Yang , K. et al. Investigation of head injury mechanisms using neutral density technology and high-speed biplanar X-ray Proceedings of the 45th Stapp Car Crash Conference, SAE Paper No. 01S-52 Society of Automotive Engineers 337 368 2001
- Hardy W. et al. A study of the response of the human cadaver head to impact Stapp Car Crash Journal 51 17 80 2007
- Nahum , A. , Smith , R. , and Ward , C. Intracranial Pressure Dynamics During Head Impact SAE Technical Paper 770922 1977 10.4271/770922
- Trosseille , X. , Tarriére , C. , Lavaste , F. , Guillon , F. et al. Development of a F.E.M. of the Human Head According to a Specific Test Protocol SAE Technical Paper 922527 1992 10.4271/922527
- Sato , K. , Thyreau , B. , Yanaoka , T. , Kawashima , R. et al. MRI based head surface mesh of young and old people for finite element analysis The 19th Annual Meeting of the Organization for Human Brain Mapping 2013
- Sack I et al. The impact of aging and gender on brain viscoelasticity NeuroImage 46 652 657 2009
- Delye , H. , Goffin , J. , Verschueren , P. , Vander Sloten , J. et al. Biomechanical properties of the superior sagittal sinus - bridging vein complex Stapp Car Crash Journal 50 625 636 2006
- Monson , K.L. , Goldsmith , W. , Barbaro , N.M. , Manley , G.T. Significance of source and size in the mechanical response of human cerebral blood vessels Journal of Biomechanics 38 737 744 2005
- Mao , H. , Zhang , L. , Jiang B. , Genthikatti , V.V. et al. Development of a Finite Element Human Head Model Partially Validated With Thirty Five Experimental Cases Journal of Biomechanical Engineering 135 2013 10.1115/1.4025101
- Kameyama , M. , Karibe , H. , Onuma , T. , Tominaga , T. Epidemiological study of head injury in Miyagi Neurotrauma Data Bank: Age, cause of injury, pathophysiology and outcome Neurotraumatology 31 49 56 2008
- Takhounts , E.G. , Eppinger , R.H. , Campbell , J.Q. , Tannous , R.E. et al. On the development of the SIMon finite element head model Stapp Car Crash Journal 47 107 133 2003
- Takhounts , E.G. , Craig , M.J. , Moorhouse , K. , McFadden , J. et al. Development of Brain Injury Criteria (BrIC) Stapp Car Crash Journal 57 243 266 2013
- Sack , I. , Streitberger , K-J. , Krefting , D. , Paul , F. et al. The Influence of Physiological Aging and Atrophy on Brain Viscoelastic Properties in Humans PLoS ONE 6 9 e23451 10.1371/journal.pone.0023451