This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulated Driving Assessment: Case Study for the Development of Drivelab, Extendable Matlab™ Toolbox for Data Reduction of Clinical Driving Simulator Data
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Driving simulators provide a safe, highly reproducible environment in which to assess driver behavior. Nevertheless, data reduction to standardized metrics can be time-consuming and cumbersome. Further, the validity of the results is challenged by inconsistent definitions of metrics, precluding comparison across studies and integration of data. No established tool has yet been made available and kept current for the systematic reduction of literature-derived safety metrics.
The long term goal of this work is to develop DriveLab, a set of widely applicable routines for reducing simulator data to expert-approved metrics. Since Matlab™ is so widely used in the research community, it was chosen as a suitable environment. This paper aims to serve as a case study of data reduction techniques and programming choices that were made for simulator analysis of a specific research project, the Simulated Driving Assessment. The initial set of Matlab™ routines was successfully tested by analyzing recognized metrics, such as Distance Headway, Time Headway, Time-To-Collision, and Reaction Time. The programming choices are described in this paper. This foundation of processes and Matlab™ routines will be used as the base for a DriveLab. The newly developed Matlab™ toolbox will be validated using the Realtime Technologies Incorporated (RTI) simulator.It will be generalized to other driving simulators so as to be a robust research tool for use by the scientific community.
CitationLoeb, H., Seacrist, T., McDonald, C., and Winston, F., "Simulated Driving Assessment: Case Study for the Development of Drivelab, Extendable Matlab™ Toolbox for Data Reduction of Clinical Driving Simulator Data," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0452, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0452.
- Matlab User's Guide The Mathworks Inc. 2013
- SimCreator User's Manual Realtime Technologies 2008
- SimVista User's Manual Realtime Technologies 2012
- SimObserver Users's Manual Realtime Technologies 2004
- Data Distillery User's Manual Realtime Technologies 2009
- Watson , Ginger S. , Papelis , Yiannis E. , Schikore , Matthew C. A multimedia data verification and reduction tool for use in driving simulator research IMAGE 2000 Conference Scottsdale, Arizona 10 14 July 2000
- McDonald , Catherine C. , Seacrist Thomas S. , Lee Yi-Ching , Loeb Helen , Kandadai Venk , and Winston Flaura K. Headway Time and Crashes Among Novice Teens and Experienced Adult Drivers in a Simulated Lead Truck Braking Scenario 7th International Driving Symposium on Human Factors in Driver Assessment, Training, and Vehicle Design , no. 67 2013
- Bulusu , Sunil , Papelis Yiannis , Chen Bin , Schikore Matt , and Ahmad Omar Embedded Data: A Step Forward in the Data Reduction Process Driving Simulation Conference, North America 2005 (DSC-NA 2005) 2005
- Östlund , Joakim , Peters Björn , Thorslund Birgitta , Engström Johan , Markkula Gustav , Keinath Andreas , Horst Dorit , Juch Susann , Mattes Stefan , and Foehl Uli Driving performance assessment-methods and metrics 2005
- Savino , Mark R. Standardized Names and Definitions for Driving Performance Measures PhD diss. TUFTS UNIVERSITY 2009
- Östlund , J. , Nilsson L. , Carsten O. , Merat N. , Jamson H. , Jamson S. , Mouta S. et al. Deliverable 2-HMI and safety-related driver performance. Human Machine Interface And the Safety of Traffic in Europe Project HASTE GRD1/2000/25361 S 12 2004
- Papelis , Yiannis , Schikore Matthew , Watson Ginger , and Gates Tad A Prototype Toolset for Rapidly Reducing and Reviewing Driving Simulator Data Proceedings of the 1 st Human-Centered Transportation Simulation Conference 2001
- SimVista User's Manual Realtime Technologies Inc. 2012
- McDonald , Catherine C. , Tanenbaum Jason B. , Lee Yi-Ching , Fisher Donald L. , Mayhew Daniel R. , and Winston Flaura K. Using crash data to develop simulator scenarios for assessing young novice driver performance Transportation Research Board 91st Annual Meeting , no. 12-1636 2012
- National Highway Traffic Safety Administration National Motor Vehicle Crash Causation Survey: Report to Congress Washington, DC 2008
- Mayhew , Daniel R. , Simpson Herb M. , Wood Katherine M. , Lonero Lawrence , Clinton Kathryn M. , and Johnson Amanda G. On-road and simulated driving: Concurrent and discriminant validation Journal of safety research 42 4 2011 267 275
- Reimer , Bryan , and Mehler Bruce The impact of cognitive workload on physiological arousal in young adult drivers: a field study and simulation validation Ergonomics 54 10 2011 932 942
- Underwood , Geoffrey , Crundall David , and Chapman Peter Driving simulator validation with hazard perception Transportation research part F: traffic psychology and behaviour 14 6 2011 435 446