This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Development of Optimization Method for Automotive Parts and Structures
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A new topology analysis method was developed to optimize part shapes and the configuration of automotive components. Only solid elements are used in the conventional topology optimization method. The key point of the new method is to embed solid elements in a model made of shell elements. In this study, stiffness optimizations were carried out for a simple cylindrical model, automotive floor model and full vehicle model. Specifically, optimized automotive components were a center tunnel, a side-sill and a joint linking a side-member and a cross-member, which are made of steel sheets and have rectangular cross sections. The results show that the newly-developed topology optimization method is valuable in the optimization of automotive components which are made of steel sheets and have rectangular cross sections.
CitationSaito, T., Hiramoto, J., and Urabe, T., "Development of Optimization Method for Automotive Parts and Structures," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0410, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0410.
- Suzuki , K. and Kikuchi , N. A homogenization method for shape and topology optimization Comput. Meths Appl. Mech. Engrg. 93 291 318 1991
- Azegami , H. , Kaizu , S. , Shimoda , M. and Katamine , E. Irregularity of shape optimization problems and an improvement technique Computer Aided Optimization Design of Structures V Hernandez , S. and Brebbia , C. A. Computational Mechanics Publications Southampton 309 326 1997
- Inazumi , T. , Kuriyama , Y. , Watanabe , K. and Fukui , K. WorldAutoSteel Program, Future Steel Vehicle (Second Report) - Structural Design Aided by Computer Optimization Methods JSAE Transaction 44 2 517 522 2013
- Miyata , Y. , Nagano , H. , Kuwabara , M. , Takagi , Y. , Mizuno , H. , Imamura , K. , Kikawa , M. and Fukamachi , K. Body CAE Process for BRZ Subaru Technical Review 39 97 105 2012
- Nomura , A. , Murakami , S. , Tanaka , K. and Kuroda , Y. Development of Lightweight Body with Improved Structural Dynamic Performances Using a Concurrent Design Optimization Approach Subaru Technical Review 31 161 166 2004
- Niwa , T. , Iizuka , N. , Nakamura , G. and Yuge , K. Application of Nonlinear Topology Optimization on Thin-Walled Steel Structure for Crashworthiness JSAE Transaction 86-12 5 8 2012
- NCAC Technical Summary: Development & Validation of Finite Element Model for the 2010 Toyota Yaris Passenger Sedan November 2011