This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Body Optimization for Front Loading Design Process
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
An innovative design process is proposed to be applicable in the early conceptual design phase as a means of front loading design. The objective of the study is to minimize trial and errors in the detailed design phase and to shorten the overall design period. The process includes design optimization which is based on efficient modeling techniques. An integrated CAD/CAE modeling method and a simplified quality FE model are key factors in the course of effectuation. The conceptual modeling takes into account the adaptability of computer-generated models with the use of CAD/CAE integrated design environment. To achieve maximum efficiency in the repeated computations in optimization, an FE modeling approach is introduced in terms of simplicity and quality. The proposed FE modeling employs beam and spring elements to construct vehicle body models, which is targeted to produce an instant analysis result with a robust conceptual design at the incipient phase of development. The applications of the process are not limited to the examples included in this paper which are mainly focused on stiffness analysis of the structure.
CitationNa, W., Lee, S., and Park, J., "Body Optimization for Front Loading Design Process," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0388, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0388.
- Hanschke A. , Zhou S. , Lee M. and Hilmann J. Parametric Model Knowledgebase for Vhicle Design to Improve the Early Vehicle Attribute Assessments IABC 2007 Berlin, Germany
- Doepner H. , Jackowski U. , Sans M. , Nelse M. and Phillips I. Mature Concepts Through Integrated CAD and CAE Processes in CATIA V5 with LsDyna LS-DYNA Anwenderforum Bamberg 2008
- Sun , H. , Tossan , B. , and Brouns , D. Thermal Behavior Study on HEV Air-Cooled Battery Pack SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1368 2011 10.4271/2011-01-1368
- Chang , D. Effects of Flexible Connections on Body Structural Response SAE Technical Paper 740041 1974 10.4271/740041
- Nikolaidis , E. and Lee , K. A 3-D Joint Model for Automotive Structures SAE Technical Paper 921088 1992 10.4271/921088
- Stigliano G. , Mundo D. , Donders S. and Tamarozzi T. Advanced Vehicle Body Concept Modeling Approach Using Reduced Models of Beams and Joints Proceedings of ISMA2010 Including USD2010 2010 4179 4190
- Badin J. , Chamoret D. , Roth S. , Imbert J.R. and Gomes S. Knowledge Based Simulation Driven Design for Crash Applications International Journal of Mechanics and Appliccations 2012 2 5 49 60
- Bauchau O. A. , Craig J. I. Structural Analysis: With Applications to Aerospace Structures Springer 2009 157 225
- Heo S. J. , Kim I. H. , Kang D. O. , Ki W. Y. , Darwish S. M. H. , Choi W. C. , Yim H. J. Multi-Disciplinary Constriant Design Optimization Based on Progressive Meta-Model Method for Vehicle Body Structure Optimization of Structures and Components 43 2013 103 115