This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Automotive Design Quantification: Parameters Defining Exterior Proportions According to Car Segment
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
Among the issues affecting the design process of a vehicle, there is the lack of multidisciplinary knowledge among the different teams involved. This often leads to the risk of loosing important key points from the initial concept idea of designers to the final vehicle package definition made by engineers.
Therefore, this study builds up a method based on parameters defining exterior aesthetic priorities according to car segment to support engineers involved in the automotive design process. In particular, during the early design-engineering phase, this method should help them to understand better vehicle proportions defined by designers.
This work is currently used in the course of design and simulation of road vehicles (Chair of Automotive Technology, TUM) to explain fundamentals of automotive design.
|Technical Paper||An Alternative Approach to Robust Design: A Vehicle Door Sealing System Example|
|Technical Paper||Polymorphic Modeling Applied to Vehicle Thermal Management|
|Technical Paper||FIPES: Facility for Integrated Planetary Exploration Simulation|
CitationLuccarelli, M., Lienkamp, M., Matt, D., and Russo Spena, P., "Automotive Design Quantification: Parameters Defining Exterior Proportions According to Car Segment," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0357, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0357.
- Tovey , M. , Porter , S. and Newman , R. Sketching, concept development and automotive design Design Stud. 24 2 135 153 2003 10.1016/S0142-694X(02)00035-2
- Wilden , W. Technical University of Munich personal communication March 2013
- Tovey , M. Intuitive and objective processes in automotive design Design Stud. 13 1 23 41 1992 10.1016/0142-694X(92)80003-H
- Breemen , van E.J.J. , Knoop , W.G. , Horvath , I. , Vergeest et al. Developing a methodology for design for aesthetics based on analogy of communication 1998 ASME Design Engineering Technical Conferences USA September 13 16 1998
- Omar , M.A. The automotive body manufacturing systems and processes Wiley Chichester, West Sussex 9780470976333 2011
- Landwehr , J.R. , Labroo , A.A. , and Herrmann , A. Gut Liking for the Ordinary: Incorporating Design Fluency Improves Automobile Sales Forecasts Market Sci. 30 3 416 429 2011 10.1287/mksc.1110.0633
- Liu , J.H. , Li , K. , and Li , H. The Analysis of Categories of Users in Car Design Adv. Mater. Res. 706 2124 2127 2013 10.4028/www.scientific.net/AMR.706-708.2124
- Nagamachi , M. Kansei Engineering: A New Ergonomic Consumer Oriented Technology for Product Development Int. j. Ind. Ergonom. 15 3 11 1995 10.1016/0169-8141(94)00052-5
- Hsiao , S.W. and Wang , H.P. Applying the Semantic Transformation Method to Product Form Design Design Stud. 19 3 1998 10.1016/S0142-694X(98)00009-X
- Catalano , C.E. , Falcidieno , B. , Giannini , F. , and Monti , M.A. Survey of computer-aided modelling tools for aesthetic design Int. J. Computing Information Sci. Eng. 2 1 11 20 2002 10.1115/1.1481371
- Claessen , J. P. Shaped by Colour, a Studiy on the Effect of Colour on the Percieved Shape of Objects Ph.D. thesis Delft University of Technology, Delft University Press Delft 1996
- Chen , K. and Owen , C.L. A study of computer-supported formal design Design Stud. 19 3 1998 10.1016/S0142-694X(98)00002-7
- Fujita , K. , Nakayama , T. , and Akagi , S. Integrated Product Design Methodology for Aesthetics, Functions and Geometry with Feature Based Modeling and Constraint Management ICED 99 Germany August 24 26 1999
- Ngo , D.C.L. , Teo , L.S. , and Byne , J.D. A mathematical theory of interface aesthetics Visual Mathematics 2 4 2000 http://vismath4.tripod.com/ngo/
- Case , K. , Graham , I.J. , Wood , R.L. and Abdul Karim , M.S. CAD Genetic Algorithms for Evolutionary Form and Function Design Advances in Manufacturing Technology XVI Cheng , K. , and Webb , D. Professional Engineering Publishing Ltd., Leeds Metropolitan University 103 107 1-86058-378-4 2002
- Giannini , F. and Monti , M. CAD Tools based on Aesthetic Properties Eurographics Italian Chapter Italy July 11 12 2002
- Cheutet , V. , Catalano , C.E. , Giannini , F. , Monti , M. et al. Semantic Based Operators to Support Car Sketching J. Eng. Design 18 5 395 411 2007 10.1080/09544820701403714
- Soni , S. , Khanna , P. , and Tandon , P. Extended Axiomatic Design and Computational Support to Design for Aesthetics Comput. Aided Design Appl. 10 1 1 15 2013 10.3722/cadaps.2013.1-15
- European Union Commission Vehicle categories http://ec.europa.eu/competition/mergers/cases/decisions/m1406_en.pdf October 2010
- Macey , S. , and Wardle , G. H-Point: The Fundamentals of Car Design & Packaging Design Studio Press Culver City 978-1-933492-37-7 2009
- Herriotts , P. , and Johnson , P. Are You Sitting Comfortably? A Guide to Occupant Packaging in Automotive Design Automotive Ergonomics: Driver-vehicle Interaction Gkikas , N. CRC Press Boca Raton 17 39 9781439894255 2013