This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
CAE Process Workflow Management of an Automotive Simulation Scenario
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 1, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The growing complexity of simulation and analysis for new products has created new challenges in improving CAE productivity and effectiveness. The information required for down-streaming CAE processes is often unavailable, untraceable, outdated or susceptive to human errors and the information of previous best practices is not usually captured as applicable knowledge for future use. Additionally, the CAE cycle is a collaborative process involving not only data but also human and non-human resources, rendering a solution with a holistic approach essential.
This work describes how these challenges are addressed by the Simulation Process, Data and Resources Management (SPDRM) system. A real-case industry scenario is used to demonstrate how CAE data and activities can be associated with the available resources, while defining and handling workflows in a common environment. This scenario discusses a CAE analysis process, validated by a renowned automotive OEM.
The process workflow consists of the simulation setup, the post-processing of results and the reporting phase. During the process, data and meta-data are streamed to the right resources, whilst a workflow process network and its progress are visually available.
As resulted by the deployment of the automotive simulation scenario and validated by the OEM industry, the proposed framework proves to have a positive effect, on the development of a methodological referential, and on the implementation of a collaborative platform for multi-users and multi-engineering tasks in CAE workflow processes. Moreover, the importance of introducing an integrated tool that addresses the CAE management problems and improves the sharing of knowledge is highlighted.
CitationStampouli, M. and Pappas, M., "CAE Process Workflow Management of an Automotive Simulation Scenario," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0297, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0297.
- Giptner, B., Panzer, J., Moshammer, T., Hengsberger, M., “From a Stohastic Information Management to a Simulation-Data-Management Oriented ‘Lastinator’”, presented at 1st SPDM International Conference, Salzburg, Austria, June 9-11, 2013.
- Sippel, H., “CAE at different stages in product development”, AUTOSIM White Paper, AUTOmobile industry SIMulation Consortium, 6th Framework Programme, Birmingham, UK, April 2008.
- Seitanis, S., (2009), ‘Simulation Process, Data and Resources Management (SPDRM)’, 3rd ANSA & μETA International Conference. Halkidiki, 9-11 September 2009, Greece.
- Seitanis, S. A., Saltiel, S. T., “CAE data and process management for shorter CAE cycles; a study in automotive industry”, presented at FISITA 2008 World Automotive Congress, Munich, Germany, September 14-19, 2008.
- Petrovic, Z., Charalampidis, I., “CAE model build-up in collaboration with external suppliers not having direct access to the enterprise SDM environment”, presented at 4rth ANSA & μETA International Conference, Thessaloniki, Greece, September 9-11, 2009.
- Wang, X., “The possibilities of virtual development using CAE, CAD and CAT, as shown in the example of current AUDI vehicles”, presented at FISITA 2008 World Automotive Congress, Munich, Germany, September 14-19, 2008.