This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Shape Optimization for a 3-D Multi-Element Airfoil
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper discusses the uses of shape morphing/optimization in order to improve the lift to drag ratio for a typical 3D multi-element airfoil. A mesh morpher algorithm is used in conjunction with a direct search optimization algorithm in order to optimize the aerodynamics performance of a typical high-lift device.
Navier-Stokes equations are solved for turbulent, steady-state, incompressible flow by using k-epsilon model and SIMPLE algorithm using the commercial code ANSYS Fluent. Detailed studies are done on take-off/landing flight conditions; the results show that the optimization is successful in improving the aerodynamic performance.
CitationGabbasa, A., Arslan, S., Jawad, B., and Gerhart, A., "Aerodynamic Shape Optimization for a 3-D Multi-Element Airfoil," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0296, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0296.
- Bauer , F. , Garabedian , P. , Korn , D. , and Jameson , A. Supercritical Wing Sections 2 Springer Verlag New York 1975
- Garabedian , P. R. , and Korn , D. G. Numerical Design of Transonic Airfoils Proceedings of SYNSPADE 1970 Hubbard B. Academic Press New York 1971 253 271
- Hicks , R. M. , and Henne , P. A. Wing Design by Numerical Optimization Journal of Aircraft 15 7 1978 407 412
- Fay , J. On the Design of Airfoils in Transonic Flow Using the Euler Equations Ph.D. Dissertation, Rept. 1683-T Mechanical and Aerospace Engineering Dept., Princeton Univ. Princeton, NJ 1985
- Campbell , R. An Approach to Constrained Aerodynamic Design with Application to Airfoils NASA TP 3260 Nov. 1992
- Kim Sangho , Alonso Juan J. , and Jameson Antony 2004 Multi-Element High-Lift Configuration Design Optimization Using Viscous Continuous Adjoint Journal Of Aircraft 41 5 September October 2004
- Jameson , A. Aerodynamic Design via Control Theory Journal of Scientific Computing 3 3 1988 233 260
- Jameson , A. Optimum Aerodynamic Design Using CFD and Control AIAA Paper 95-1729 June 1995
- Reuther , J. , Jameson , A. , Farmer , J. , Martinelli , L. , and Saunders , D. Aerodynamic Shape Optimization of Complex Aircraft Configurations via an Adjoint Formulation AIAA Paper 96-0094 Jan. 1996
- Reuther , J. , Alonso , J. J. , Vassberg , J. C. , Jameson , A. , and Martinelli , L. An Efficient Multiblock Method for Aerodynamic Analysis and Design on Distributed Memory Systems AIAA Paper 97-1893 June 1997
- Reuther , J. J. , Jameson , A. , Alonso , J. J. , Rimlinger , M. , and Saunders , D. Constrained Multipoint Aerodynamic Shape Optimization Using an Adjoint Formulation and Parallel Computers: Part 1 Journal of Aircraft 36 1 1999 51 60
- Jameson , A. Re-Engineering the Design Process Through Computation AIAA Paper 97-0641 Jan. 1997
- Reuther , J. , Alonso , J. J. , Rimlinger , M. J. , and Jameson , A. Aerodynamic Shape Optimization of Supersonic Aircraft Configurations via an Adjoint Formulation on Parallel Computers AIAA Paper 96-4045 Sept. 1996
- Anderson , W. K. , and Venkatakrishnan , V. Aerodynamic Design Optimization on Unstructured Grids with a Continuous Adjoint Formulation AIAA Paper 97-0643 Jan. 1997
- Jameson , A. , Pierce , N. , and Martinelli , L. Optimum Aerodynamic Design Using the Navier-Stokes Equations AIAA Paper 97-0101 Jan.