This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Internationally Standardized Technology for the Diagnostic Communication of External Test Equipment with Vehicle ECUs
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In the past, the automotive industry has learned the lesson that competition on the level of bits and bytes, proprietary bus systems, data communication and diagnostic protocols is unrewarding. Too much time and money has been spent on the development of proprietary diagnostic tools. Vehicle manufacturers and suppliers realized that standardization would be the best way to overcome this situation. Furthermore, regulatory requirements in the US and the EU for such standardization have strengthened this lesson.
As a result, the automotive industry has standardized the technology for the communication of external test equipment with electronic control units (ECUs) in road vehicles. Standardization serves the price, the quality and the maintainability via scale and training curve effects.
This paper contains a technical introduction of internationally standardized diagnostic protocols (UDS on CAN, WWH-OBD, UDSonIP and DoIP), the D-Server (MVCI) with D-Server API and D-PDU API, the diagnostic data format (ODX) and the open test sequence exchange format (OTX). The respective international standards are ISO 14229 (UDS), ISO 27145 (WWH-OBD), ISO 13400 (DoIP), ISO 22900 (MVCI), ISO 22901 (ODX), and ISO 13209 (OTX).
|Technical Paper||In-Vehicle Networking|
|Technical Paper||The Multiplexed Vehicle -a Maintenance Time Bomb!?|
CitationSubke, P., "Internationally Standardized Technology for the Diagnostic Communication of External Test Equipment with Vehicle ECUs," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0281, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0281.
- Marscholik , C. and Subke , P. Road vehicles - Diagnostic communication 978-3-7785-4048-0
- ISO 14229: Road vehicles - Unified diagnostic services (UDS)
- ISO 27145: Road vehicles - Implementation of World- wide harmonized On-Board Diagnostics (WWH-OBD) communication requirements
- ISO 13400: Road vehicles - Diagnostic communication over Internet Protocol (DoIP)
- ISO 15031: Road vehicles - Communication between vehicle and external equipment for emissions-related diagnostics
- ISO 22900: Road vehicles - Modular vehicle communication interface (MVCI)
- ISO 22901: Road vehicles - Open diagnostic data exchange (ODX)
- ISO 13209: Road vehicles - Open Test sequence exchange format (OTX)
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Off-Board Diagnostic Connector SAE Standard J1939-13 Oct. 2011
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Vehicle Application Layer SAE Standard J1939-71 Sept. 2013
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Application Layer - Diagnostics SAE Standard J1939-73 July 2013
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Standard Diagnostic Connector Equivalent to ISO/DIS 15031-3: December 14, 2001 SAE Standard J1962 July 2012
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Recommended Practice for Pass-Thru Vehicle Programming SAE Standard J2534-1 Dec. 2004
- Regulation (EC) No 715/2007 of the European Parliament and the Council of 20 June 2007 on type approval of motor vehicles with respect to emissions from light passenger and commercial vehicles (Euro 5 and Euro 6) and on access to vehicle repair and maintenance information
- Commission Regulation (EU) No 566/2011 of 8 June 2011 amending Regulation (EC) No 715/2007 of the European Parliament and of the Council and Commission Regulation 692/2008 as regards access to vehicle repair and maintenance information