This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Modeling and Validation of ABS and RSC Control Algorithms for a 6×4 Tractor and Trailer Models using SIL Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
A Software-in-the-Loop (SIL) simulation is presented here wherein control algorithms for the Anti-lock Braking System (ABS) and Roll Stability Control (RSC) system were developed in Simulink. Vehicle dynamics models of a 6×4 cab-over tractor and two trailer combinations were developed in TruckSim and were used for control system design. Model validation was performed by doing various dynamic maneuvers like J-Turn, double lane change, decreasing radius curve, high dynamic steer input and constant radius test with increasing speed and comparing the vehicle responses obtained from TruckSim against field test data. A commercial ESC ECU contains two modules: Roll Stability Control (RSC) and Yaw Stability Control (YSC). In this research, only the RSC has been modeled. The ABS system was developed based on the results obtained from a HIL setup that was developed as a part of this research. The RSC system was developed after a careful study of the field test data obtained from the vehicle manufacturer in which the ESC was activated. Both the control models were then validated by performing dynamic maneuvers and straight ahead braking tests and the simulation results were compared against the field test data. The results show that the ABS and RSC control models were able to mimic the performance of commercially available ECUs.
|Technical Paper||New Driving Stability Control System with Reduced Technical Effort for Compact and Medium Class Passenger Cars|
|Technical Paper||Development of Vehicle Dynamics Integrated Management|
|Technical Paper||Simulation in the Development of ASMS|
CitationRao, S., Jeong, J., Ashby, R., Heydinger, G. et al., "Modeling and Validation of ABS and RSC Control Algorithms for a 6×4 Tractor and Trailer Models using SIL Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0135, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0135.
- Rao , S. Y. Development of a Heavy Truck Vehicle Dynamics Model Using TruckSim and Model Based Design of ABS and ESC Controllers in Simulink MS Thesis The Ohio State University 2013
- Ashby , R.M. Hardware in the Loop Simulation of a Heavy Truck Braking System and Vehicle Control System Design MS Thesis The Ohio State University 2013
- Ashby , R. , Jeong , J. , Rao , S. , Heydinger , G. et al. A Primer on Building a Hardware in the Loop Simulation and Validation for a 6×4 Tractor Model with ABS SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0118 2014 10.4271/2014-01-0118
- Chandrasekharan , Santhosh Development of a Tractor-Semitrailer Roll Stability Control Model The Ohio State University MS Thesis 2007
- Dunn , A. , Heydinger , G. , Rizzoni , G. , and Guenther , D. In-Depth Analysis of the Influence of High Torque Brakes on the Jackknife Stability of Heavy Trucks SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-3398 2003 10.4271/2003-01-3398
- Shurtz , Matthew L. Effects of ABS Controller Parameters on Heavy Truck Model Braking Performance MS Thesis The Ohio State University 2006
- TruckSim Inc. TruckSim Version 8.1 User Manual Mechanical Simulation Corporation 2011
- Rao , S. , Salaani , M. , Heydinger , G. , Guenther , D. et al. Modeling of a 6×4 Tractor and Trailers for Use in Real Time Hardware in the Loop Simulation for ESC Testing SAE Technical Paper 2013-01-0693 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0693
- Rao , S. , Salaani , M. , Heydinger , G. , Guenther , D. et al. Validation of Real Time Hardware in the Loop Simulation for ESC Testing with a 6×4 Tractor and Trailer Models SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 6 1 118 134 2013 10.4271/2013-01-0692