This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Reconciliation of ATV/UTV Handling Characteristics and the Operator
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper examines the directional handling characteristics of several vehicles in their original condition, then examines modifications to a few of these vehicles to determine if the handling characteristics can be made more forgiving of normal operators without sacrificing utility and without substantial increases in cost. These analyses of vehicles are made in the context of what normal operators are capable of performing with regards to steering response.
CitationRenfroe, D., Roberts, A., Grzebieta, R., Rechnitzer, G. et al., "Reconciliation of ATV/UTV Handling Characteristics and the Operator," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0095, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0095.
- Garland , S. 2011 Annual Report of ATV-Related Deaths and Injuries CPSC 2013
- Lower T , Pollock K & Herde E 2013 Australian Quad Bike Fatalities: What is the Economic Cost? Aust N Z J Public Health 2013 April 37 2 173 8
- Roberts A Dynamic Analysis of Side-by-Side Utility and Recreational Vehicles Paper No.09-0260-O, 21st International Safety Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles 2009
- Scheers , N.J. , Fulcher , D. , and Polen , C. Four-Wheel ATVs and Lateral Stability, Emergency Room Treated Injuries (1989) U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission 1990
- McRuer , D. , Klein , R. Automobile Controllability - Driver/Vehicle Response for Steering Control DOT-HS-801-407 1 1975
- Segel , L. Research in the Fundamentals of Automobile Control and Stability SAE Technical Paper 570044 1957 10.4271/570044
- Milliken , Milliken Notes of Vehicle Dynamics - Maurice Olley SAE publications 2004
- Allen , R. , Szostak , H. , Rosenthal , T. , and Klyde , D. Steady State and Dynamic Properties of All Terrain Vehicles Related to Lateral Directional Handling and Stability SAE Technical Paper 891105 1989 10.4271/891105
- Weir , D. and Zellner , J. An Introduction to the Operational Characteristics of All-Terrain Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 860225 1986 10.4271/860225
- Renfroe , D. and Fleniken , G. Designing for Pitch and Bounce Motions of Single-Passenger Off-Road Vehicles SAE Technical Paper 940273 1994 10.4271/940273
- SAE International Surface Vehicle Recommended Practice Steady-State Directional Control Test Procedures for Passenger Cars and Light Trucks SAE Standard J266 Jan. 1996
- US Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) ANPR for Standard for Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles Federal Register 74 207 October 28 2009
- Heydinger , G.J. , Bixel , R. , Jebode , H. , Peterman , E. , Sidhu , A. Vehicle Characteristics Measurements of Recreational Off-Highway Vehicles CPSC April 2011
- Allen , R. , Rosenthal , T. , and Szostak , H. Steady State and Transient Analysis of Ground Vehicle Handling SAE Technical Paper 870495 1987 10.4271/870495
- Brown , J. , Larson , R. , Fowler , G. , and Kuhn , R. Recreational Off-Highway Vehicle (ROV) Handling and Control SAE Technical Paper 2012-01-0239 2012 10.4271/2012-01-0239
- Rechnitzer , G. , Grzebieta R.H. , McIntosh A.S. , and Simmons K. 2013 Reducing All Terrain Vehicle Injuries (ATVs) And Deaths - A Way Ahead Proc. 23 rd International Safety Conference on the Enhanced Safety of Vehicles Soeul, Korea May