This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Minimization of Sweep Width of Tractor Semi-Trailers at Low Speeds via Active Trailer Steering
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published April 01, 2014 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This paper develops a control strategy for tractor semi-trailers by active trailer steering, aiming at minimizing the sweep width of the vehicle at low speeds. The metric of sweep width is defined to evaluate the maneuverability of tractor semi-trailers under a circular motion with constant speeds. The active steering angle of the trailer for each given front wheel steering angle of the tractor is determined to minimize the sweep width, based on solution of equilibrium equations of both the tractor and the trailer in the yaw plane at a very low speed such as 5 km/h. The two steering angles of the tractor and the trailer are fitted to form an open-loop active-steering control algorithm. A nonlinear tractor semi-trailer system model is built for co-simulation purpose by using TruckSim and MATLAB/SIMULINK to evaluate the active trailer steering algorithm. Simulation results show that, under the low-speed roundabout and double lane change maneuvers, the active trailer steering controller can significantly reduce the sweep width and thus improve the low-speed maneuverability.
CitationQi, Y., Ding, N., Gao, F., and Xu, G., "Minimization of Sweep Width of Tractor Semi-Trailers at Low Speeds via Active Trailer Steering," SAE Technical Paper 2014-01-0082, 2014, https://doi.org/10.4271/2014-01-0082.
- Chen, H. and Velinsky, S. (1992), “Designing Articulated Vehicles for Low - Speed Maneuverability” J. Transp. Eng., 118(5), 711-728, doi:10.1061/(ASCE)0733-947X(1992)118:5(711)
- Ding Xuejun, He Yuping, Ren Jing and Sun Tao, “A Comparative Study of Control Algorithms for Active Trailer Steering Systems of Articulated Heavy Vehicles”, 2012 American Control Conference, Fairmont Queen Elizabeth, Montreal, Canada, June 27-June 29,2012
- Odhams A. M. C., Roebuck R. L., Jujnovich B. A., and Cebon D., “Active steering of a tractor-semi-trailer”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part D: Journal of Automobile Engineering, 225(7):847-869, 2011, doi:10.1177/0954407010395680
- Cheng Caizhen, Roebuck Richard, Odhams Andrew, and Cebon David, “High-speed optimal steering of a tractor-semitrailer”, Vehicle System Dynamics, 49(4):561-593, 2011, doi:10.1080/00423111003615212.
- Bortoni-Anzures L, Gómez-Meléndez D, Herrera-Ruíz G, et al. Fuzzy Controller for Automatic Steering in Heavy Vehicle Semi-Trailers[J]. Ingeniería Investigación y Tecnología, 2013, 14(1).
- Oreh SH Tabatabaei, Kazemi R, Azadi S, “A new desired articulation angle for directional control of articulated vehicles”, Proceedings of the Institution of Mechanical Engineers, Part K: Journal of Multi-body Dynamics December 2012 vol. 226 no. 4 298-314, doi:10.1177/1464419312445426
- Kharrazi, S., Fredriksson, J., Lidberg, M. “Lateral stability control of a long heavy vehicle combination by active steering of the towed units” Intelligent Transportation Systems (ITSC), 2010 13th International IEEE Conference on, 19-22 Sept. 2010, 168-173, doi:10.1109/ITSC.2010.5625237
- Ding, N., Zhang, Y., Gao, F., and Xu, G., “A Gain-Scheduled PID Controller for Automatic Path Following of a Tractor Semi-Trailer,” SAE Int. J. Commer. Veh. 6(1):110-117, 2013, doi:10.4271/2013-01-0687.