This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Continued Study of the Pinpoint Injection Gate with the Aid of Computer Injection Simulation
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
In injection molds, the most common type of injection gate is the pinpoint gate. As many authors in the field of injection mold design diverge on the recommended dimensions for the pinpoint gate, the idea behind this study is to guide future mold projects for the better gate dimensions for each shape of the part to be made. Following previous studies about the pinpoint injection gate, this new study was conducted to broaden the applicability of the results. The first study was based on a flat, rectangular piece. Now, for different sets of results and to be able to apply them for a different shape of injected part, a rectangular box was used for the simulation. As with the first study, the objective is to analyze the results and to recommend the best gate dimensioning for the new shape, based on the performance of each dimension simulated. At the end of the study, a reference chart will be presented with the gate dimensions that were the most efficient in the computer simulation for each type of part, to aid in the project of future injection molds.
CitationPastorelli, P. and Sacchelli, C., "Continued Study of the Pinpoint Injection Gate with the Aid of Computer Injection Simulation," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0581, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0581.
- Pastorelli, P.P., Sacchelli, C.M., “Study of the Pinpoint Injection Gate with the Aid of Computer Injection Simulation,” SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0547, 2012, doi:10.4271/2012-36-0547.
- Beaumont, J.P., “Design Handbook.” Hanser, Munich, Germany, 2004.
- Cruz, S., “Moldes de Injeção,” Hemus, Curitiba, Brazil, 2002.
- D'Ávila, M.A., “Processo de Moldagem por Injeção de Polímeros Semicristalinos Caracterização e Simulação Assistida por Computador,” Master's Thesis, UFSC, Florianópolis, Brazil, 1997.
- Harada, J., “Moldes para Injeção de Termoplásticos - Projetos e Princípios Básicos,” Artliber, São Paulo, 2004.
- Menges, G., Mohren, P., “How to Make Injection Molds,” 2 ed., Hanser, Munich, Germany, 1993.
- Rees, H., “Mold Injection,” Hanser, New York, USA, 1995.
- Rosato, D. V., “Injection Molding Handbok,” Van Nostrand Reinhold, New York, USA, 1995.
- Sacchelli, C.M., Reinert, A., “Análise do Processo de Injeção de Termoplásticos Através de Sistemas CAE,” in: 2° Congresso Brasileiro de Engenharia Mecânica, Anais. João Pessoa, Brazil, 2002.
- Sacchelli, C.M., “Sistematização do Processo de Desenvolvimento Integrado de Moldes de Injeção de Termoplásticos,” Doctorate's Thesis, UFSC, Florianópolis, Brazil, 2007.