This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Experimental Study of Spray Pattern, Tip Penetration and Velocity Profiles of a Gasoline Direct Injection Injector Using High Speed Image Recording and Particle Image Velocimetry
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
This work shows procedures for analyzing sprays produced by a direct injection injector. The parameters studied were tip penetration, spray pattern, cone angles and velocity profiles. Two different experimental procedures were applied. The first one to get knowledge of the initial stage of injection consisted in recording images in 4000 Hz. With the data obtained, the penetrations and penetration rates were evaluated. The second experimental procedure consisted of using the Particle Image Velocimetry technique to get images and velocity data for getting knowledge of spray pattern, external and internal cone angle and velocity profiles of the spray fully developed. Gasoline and ethanol were the two fluids tested on the experiments. The results showed larger cone angles for gasoline, linear decreasing behavior for velocities on the linear velocity profiles and a transient stage for the magnitude of the velocities in the initial stage of injection.
- Márcio Expedito Guzzo - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- José Eduardo Mautone Barros - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Rudolf Huebner - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Ramón Molina Valle - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Carlos Alberto Gomes Júnior - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
- Fernando Rodrigues - Universidade Federal de Minas Gerais
CitationGuzzo, M., Barros, J., Huebner, R., Valle, R. et al., "Experimental Study of Spray Pattern, Tip Penetration and Velocity Profiles of a Gasoline Direct Injection Injector Using High Speed Image Recording and Particle Image Velocimetry," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0553, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0553.
- Raffel , M. ; Willert , C. ; Wereley , S. ; Kompenhans , J. Particle Image Velocimetry: a practical guide 2 Germany Springer 2007 448
- Settles , G. S. Schlieren and shadowgraph techniques: visualizing phenomena in transparent media 2 Germany Springer 2006 376
- Guzzo , M. E. , Barros , J. E. M. , Huebner , R. and Valle , R. M. A Computational Methodology for Studying Spray Characteristics of a Gasoline Direct Injection Injector SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0362 2012
- Júnior , C. A. G. , Barros , J. E. M. , Huebner , R. and Valle , R. M. Comparison of the Macroscopic Characteristics of the Atomization in a New, Used and Reconditioned Diesel Spray Nozzles of Common Rail System SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0351 2012
- Shao , J. ; Yan , Y. Digital Imaging Based of Diesel Spray Characteristics IEEE Instrumentation and Measurement Technology Conference Sorrento, Italy 2006
- Zhao , F. ; Harrington , D. L. ; Lai , M. C. Automotive gasoline direct-injection engines USA SAE 2002 352
- Lefebvre , A. H. Atomization and Sprays USA Taylor & Francis, USA 1989 416