This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Analysis of the Microstructure and Mechanical Resistance of Laminated Polyester Composites Reinforced with Curauá Fibers
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The curauá fiber, a bromeliad (Ananas erectifolius LB Smith), is considered large in the Amazon region, its mechanical properties of high strength, low density - capable of giving lightness to the final product - and potential for recycling, is listed for replace the fiberglass used as reinforcement to the plastic in the manufacture of parts with reduced features and detailed, produced by injection molding process, such as cars panel buttons, knobs and hinges. The materials used for manufacturing the polymer composites were curauá fibers acquired commercially from Belém in nature form, and a matrix of polyester resin terephthalic unsaturated and pre-accelerated chosen from one of the proportions of 0.33% (v / v), 1.66% (v / v), 3.33% (v / v) and 5% (v / v) which was initially studied. In the manufacture of the composite resin was used in combination with curauá fibers with lengths of 10 mm and a mass fraction of 3.87%, 4.87% and 5.87%. The tensile strength of the curauá composites of 10 mm with mass fraction of 3.87% was 23:22 MPa, for composites with mass fraction of 4.87% was 25.12 MPa, and for composites of mass fraction of 5.87% was 29.21 MPa. The mechanical properties were evaluated by tensile test and the surfaces generated were evaluated by scanning electron microscopy in order to correlate aspects of fracture with its mechanical properties. In which the fracture surfaces showed some dominant failure mechanisms such as pull out (tearing of the fibers) and detachment of the fiber matrix.
CitationBanna, W., da Costa, D., Pereira, L., and Fujiyama, R., "Analysis of the Microstructure and Mechanical Resistance of Laminated Polyester Composites Reinforced with Curauá Fibers," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0376, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0376.
- Padilha , E. J. Jr. ; Zard , C. L. Comportamento mecânico e reológico de compósitos de polipropileno e fibras de bananeira: Influência do teor de fibra Revista eletrônica de materiais e processos 5 10 16 2010
- Rodrigues , J. S. Comportamento mecânico de material compósito de matriz poliéster reforçado por sistema híbrido fibras naturais e resíduos da indústria madeireira 2008 35f Dissertação (Mestrado Engenharia Mecânica) Programa de Pós-Graduação de Engenharia Mecânica - Universidade Federal do Pará 2008
- Silva , R. ; Aquino , E. M. F. Curaua fiber: a new alternative to polymeric composites Journal of Reinforced Plastics and Composites 27 101 112 2008
- STANDARD TEST METHOD FOR TENSILE PROPERTIES OF SINGLE TEXTILE ASTM D 3822 - FIBERS, Annual Book of ASTM Standards 1996
- Costa , D.S. Caracterização mecânica, física e microestrutural de fibras de bambu CONGRESSO INTERNACIONAL DA ASSOCIAÇÃO BRASILEIRA DE MATERIAIS 2011
- STANDARD TEST METHOD FOR TENSILE PROPERTIES OF PLASTIC (METRIC) ASTM D 638, Annual Book of ASTM Standards American Society for Testing and Materials 1989
- Zah , R. et al. Curauá fibers in the automobile industry-a sustainability assessment Journal of Cleaner Production 15 1032 1040 2006
- Gomes , A. et al. Development and effect of alkali treatment on tensile properties of curaua fiber green composites Composites 38 1811 1820 2007
- Aquino , E. M. F. et al. Strength/stiffness study in composite laminated tubes SECOND INTERNATIONAL CONGRESS ON METALLURGY AND MATERIALS São Paulo 1 1 8 São Paulo 1997
- Spinacé , M. A. S. et al. Characterization of lignocellulosic curauá fibres Carbohydrate polymers 77 47 53 2009
- El Banna , W. R. Estudo comparativo de material compósito reforçado por fibras de bananeira e curauá e matriz polyester 2012 101f Dissertação (Mestardo Engenharia Mecânica) Programa de Pós-Graduação de Engenharia Mecânica - Universidade Federal do Pará
- Harnnecker , F. et al. Biodegradable Polyester-Based Blend Reinforced with Curaua' Fiber: Thermal, Mechanical and Biodegradation Behaviour Springer Science+ Business Media 2011
- Mothé , C. G. ; Araujo , C. R. dos Caracterização Térmica e Mecânica de Compósitos de Poliuretano com Fibras de Curauá Polímeros: Ciência e Tecnologia 14 4 274 278 2004
- Rao , M. M. K. et al. Fabrication and testing of natural fibre composites: Vakka, sisal, bamboo and banana Materials and Design 31 508 5013 2010