This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Aerodynamic Design and Analysis of a Vehicle Prototype Racing Sport
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published October 07, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
The purpose of this study was to develop a body of a competition vehicle, the sports prototype category.
This category has the aerodynamics as one of its main features, so much of their good performance depends on your body.
The project proposal was generating an initial 3D CAD geometry, based on studies and existing vehicles.
After analysis of the initial model, modifications were proposed in order to achieve better results for a competition vehicle.
The simulation of the airflow over the 3D model of the body was performed in three steps: generation of geometry in SolidWorks CAD program, discretization of the model and the limited domain around it, using mesh generation program ICEM, and resolution of the flow in program of Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), ANSYS (FLUENT).
The turbulence model used in this work has two equations, which models the turbulent kinetic energy k and dissipation ε.
The studies allowed the observation that modification brought improvements in aerodynamic performance (high negative lift, without significant increase in drag coefficient), and also some proposals which showed no gain or even hurt the features of the model.
|Technical Paper||Aerodynamic Drag Simulation and Validation of a Crossover|
|Technical Paper||Application of the Adjoint Method for Vehicle Aerodynamic Optimization|
CitationRodrigues, A., Gertz, L., Cervieri, A., and Berto, L., "Aerodynamic Design and Analysis of a Vehicle Prototype Racing Sport," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0326, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0326.
- www.fiawec.com FIA World Endurance Championship
- Skaperdas Evangelos , Kolovos Christos AUTOMATED PRE-PROCESSING FOR HIGH QUALITY MULTIPLE VARIANT CFD MODELS OF A CITY-CLASS CAR 3rd ANSA & μETA International Conference September 9 11 2009 Greece
- AIRD , F. Aerodynamics for racing and performance cars 1 a New York - USA HPBooks 1997
- KATZ , J. 1947 Race Car Aerodynamics: designing for speed 1 a Cambridge - USA Bentley Publishers 2006
- MCBEATH , S. Aerodinámica Del Automóvil de Competición. Motorbooks Internati 1 a 2006
- Ahmed S.R. , Ramm G. , and Faltin G. Some salient features of the times-averaged ground vehicle wake SAE Society of Automotive Eng., Inc 1 840300 1 31 1984
- Rodrigues , A. , Gertz , L. , Cervieri , A. , Da Silveira , M. et al. Analysis of Aerodynamic Performance of a High Energy Efficiency Prototype SAE Technical Paper 2012-36-0318 2012 10.4271/2012-36-0318
- ANSYS FLUENT ANSYS FLUENT Theory Guide: Version 14.0 Canonsburg ANSYS Inc. 2012
- LANFRIT , M. Best practice guidelines for handling Automotive External aerodynamics with FLUENT Darmstadt, Germany 2005
- D'APOLLONIA , A. Scotto , Granier , B. Amalric , Be Debaty , P. Early design stage simulation process for external aerodynamics at PSA Peugeot Citroën Trabalho publicado na 1 a Conferência Européia de DFC Automotiva Bingen, Alemanha 2003
- BATCHELDER , Jason H. A CFD Investigation Aerodynamic Enhancements to a Microcar Class Vehicle Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute Connecticut, EUA 2009
- DESAI , Manan ; Channiwala , S.A. e Nagarsheth , H.J. Experimental and Computational Aerodynamic Investigations of a Car Sardar Vallabhbhai National Institute of Technology (SVNIT) Surat, Gujarat, India 2008
- MALISKA , Clóvis Transferência de Calor e Mecânica dos Fluidos Computacional 2 a Rio de Janeiro Livros Técnicos e Científicos 2004
- www.mulsannescorner.com August 2012