This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Methodology for Determining the Process of Riveting Brake Linings for Heavy Commercial Vehicles
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published May 15, 2013 by SAE International in United States
Annotation ability available
During the development of a new friction material, besides the interface between lining/drum is also fundamental take in account all aspects involving the attachment of the linings on the brake shoes.
This paper presents an optimization approach to the development and manufacturing parameters of brake linings, applied on medium and heavy duty commercial vehicles, aiming to assure the correct specification of the riveted joint clamp forces. These evaluations were conducted based on the quality tools documents and the theoretical aspects of the product usage as well as the modeling of key elements of the referred mechanism throughout various known applications. A calculation methodology was developed based on brake geometry, its generated forces and braking reactions required for each vehicle family. Taking in consideration the mathematical modeling of lining riveting process, the study incorporated calculated parameters on the production of new parts to proceed with bench and dynamometer preliminary tests. After theoretical approach an optimized process of lining riveting was implemented on the riveting machine focusing on its capacity to generate the required clamp force on a production scale. With the results from experimental testing, further vehicular performance correlations were performed aiming durability endurance maximization on proving ground tracks.
The main objective of this paper is to show all steps involved on defining a robust riveting process based on calculation, experimental testing and rooted on vehicular correlation and validation aspects, obtaining a method to specify the required clamp force of the riveted joint on brake linings development.
- Artur Safont Gutierrez - Ford Motor Co.
- Silvia Faria Iombriller - Ford Motor Co.
- Wesley Bolognesi Prado - Ford Motor Co.
- Daniel Novello - Master Sistemas Automotivos Ltda.
- Leandro Maggioni - Master Sistemas Automotivos Ltda.
- Alexandre Roman - Fras-le S.A.
- Carlos Henrique Selle Pereira - Fras-le S.A.
CitationGutierrez, A., Iombriller, S., Prado, W., Novello, D. et al., "Methodology for Determining the Process of Riveting Brake Linings for Heavy Commercial Vehicles," SAE Technical Paper 2013-36-0029, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-36-0029.
- AIAG FMEA 4th 2008
- AMERICAN ASSOCIATION OF STATE HIGHWAY AND TRANSPORTATION OFFICIALS (AASHTO) A Policy on Geometric Design of Highways and Streets Washington, D.C. EUA 2000
- ASSOCIAÇÃO BRASILEIRA DE NORMAS TÉCNICAS. NBR13776 Distribuição e Categorias de veículos
- BENNETT , S. & NORMAN , I. A. Heavy Duty Truck Systems 5 a Clifton Park EUA, Delmar Cengage Learning 2011
- CONSELHO NACIONAL DE TRÂNSITO - CONTRAN, Resolução n°312/09 Obrigatoriedade do uso de sistema anti-travamento das rodas
- Deutsches Institut Fur Normung E.V. (German Institute for Standardization); DIN7338 Rivets for brake linings and clutch linings 1993
- GILLESPIE , T. D. Fundamentals of Vehicle Dynamics Society of Automotive Engineers SAE International Warrendalle 1992
- HARRINGTON , H. James & HARRINGTON , James S. Gerenciamento Total da Melhoria Contínua Makron Books São Paulo, SP 1997
- JONES E. & CHILDERS R. Contemporary College Physics Addison Wesley Longman Publishing Co Boston EUA 1990
- LIMPERT , R. Brake Design and Safety 3 a Warrendale EUA, Society of Automotive Engineers SAE International 2011
- WABCO Air brakes Training Handbook 4 th Hannover, Alemanha 2004
- WALPOLE , Ronald E. ; MYERS , Raymond H. ; MYERS , Sharon L. Keying , e YE Probability & Statistics for Engineers & Scientists Pearson Prentice Hall, EUA 2007
- WEIBULL , W. A Statistical Distribution Function of Wide Applicability ASME Journal of Applied Mechanics Estocolmo, Suécia 1951