This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Combustion Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine with Short and Medium Chain Saturated Fatty Acid Methyl Esters
Published October 15, 2013 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
This paper describes the fuel properties, combustion characteristics and exhaust emissions of the methyl esters of saturated fatty acid with 6 to 10 carbons in the molecule chain. The fuels blend (50/50 mass%) of three saturated fatty acid methyl esters (methyl caproate, methyl caprylate, methyl caprate); with methyl laurate as a base fuel are tested using a DI diesel engine. From the experimental results, the blend of saturated fatty acid methyl ester with a lower carbon number has a lower kinematic viscosity, pour point and smoke emission, though having longer ignition delay, the same as long chain saturated fatty acid methyl ester.
CitationKinoshita, E., Fushimi, K., and Yoshimoto, Y., "Combustion Characteristics of a DI Diesel Engine with Short and Medium Chain Saturated Fatty Acid Methyl Esters," SAE Technical Paper 2013-32-9080, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-32-9080.
- U.S. Department of Energy 2006 Biodiesel Handling and Use Guidelines, DOE/GO-102006-2358 Third 2006 1 69
- Sheehan J. , Camobreco V. , Duffield J. , Graboski M. and Shapouri H. An Overview of Biodiesel and Petroleum Diesel Life Cycles NREL/TP-580-24772 1998 1 47
- Japan Oil Chemists' Society Standard Methods for the Analysis of Fats, Oils and Related Materials 1996
- Kinoshita E. , Myo T. , Hamasaki K. , Tajima H. , Zhang R. Diesel Combustion Characteristics of Coconut Oil and Palm Oil Biodiesels SAE Paper, No. 2007-01-2021 2006 1 10
- Graboski M.S. , McCormick R.L. , Alleman T.L. , Herring A.M. The Effect of Biodiesel Composition on Engine Emissions from a DDC Series 60 Diesel Engine NREL/SR-501-31461 2003 1 81
- Kinoshita E. , Myo T. , Ichiba S. , Zhang R. , Tajima H. Diesel Combustion Characteristics of Saturated Fatty Acid Methyl Ester Trans. of JSAE 39 2 2008 269 274
- Schmidt K. and Gerpen J.V. The Effect of Biodiesel Fuel Composition on Diesel Combustion and Emissions SAE Paper, No. 961086 1996 1 7
- Schönborn , A. , Ladommatos , N. , Allan , R. , Williams , J. et al. Effect of the Molecular Structure of Individual Fatty Acid Alcohol Esters (Biodiesel) on the Formation of Nox and Particulate Matter in the Diesel Combustion Process SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 1 1 849 872 2009 10.4271/2008-01-1578
- Ikeda T. , Haibara T. , Sakurai S. , Wada Y. , Senda J. , Fujimoto H. , Tsurutani K. Experimental Study on Diesel Spray Combustion Characteristicws of Fatty Adic Mehyl Ester (First Report) -Fundamental Analysis on Characteristics of Ignition and Heat Release Rate- Trans. of JSAE 39 2 2008 263 268
- Ikeda T. , Haibara T. , Sakurai S. , Wada Y. , Tsurutani K. , Senda J. , Fujimoto H. Experimental Study on Diesel Spray Combustion Characteristicws of Fatty Adic Mehyl Ester (Second Report) -Fundamental Analysis on Spray and Soot Formation - Trans. of JSAE 39 2 2008 269 274
- Knothe G. Dependence of biodiesel fuel properties on the structure of fatty acid alkyl esters Fuel Processing Technology 86 2005 1059 1070
- Tat M.E. , Van Gerpen J.H. Measurement of Biodiesel Speed of Sound and Its Impact on Injection Timing NREL/SR-510-31462 2003 1 114