This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Estimation of Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure Using Kalman Filter
Published October 15, 2013 by Society of Automotive Engineers of Japan in Japan
Annotation ability available
For vehicles with intake manifold absolute pressure (MAP) sensor, the intake air mass is obtained using speed-density method. Since the analog MAP signal will contain high frequency noise with uncertain amplitude, the MAP value obtained in the engine management system using angle based sampling will result in MAP value variation even for engine steady-state operation. In order to properly obtain a MAP value under nonlinear time-varying characteristics, a MAP estimation method based on a closed-loop model is proposed. First, an adaptive two-input single-output intake manifold model is constructed. The Recursive Least Square technique is utilized to on-line identify the intake manifold model with throttle opening angle and engine speed as inputs. The identified intake manifold model is then employed to estimate the MAP using the Kalman Filter. Simulation results show that the proposed method can bring smaller standard deviation of air fuel ratio than that of using conventional methods for noise rejection under open-loop fuel control and system parameters drift. When a high frequency noise with higher amplitude is caught while sampling a MAP value, the proposed method can also reduce the noise effect and preserve the open-loop control performance on air fuel ratio. The proposed method is also investigated if the engine output torque is fluctuated.
CitationChen, B., Wu, Y., and Tsai, H., "Estimation of Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure Using Kalman Filter," SAE Technical Paper 2013-32-9061, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-32-9061.
- Stotsky , A. and Kolmanovsky , I. Application of Input Estimation Techniques to Charge Estimation and Control in Automotive Engines Control Engineering Practice 10 1371 1383 2002
- Pulkrabek , W.W. Engineering Fundamentals of the Internal Combustion Engine 2nd Pearson Prentice-Hall 2004
- Lin , H.C. Design and Verification for Engine Management System of EFI Scooter Engines master thesis Department of Vehicle Engineering, National Taipei University of Technology Taiwan 2007
- Jankovic M. and Magner , S.W. Air-Charge Estimation and Prediction in Spark Ignition Internal Combustion Engines Proceedings of the American Control Conference June San Diego, California 1999
- Maloney , P.J. and Olin , P.M. Pneumatic and Thermal State Estimators for Production Engine Control and Diagnostics SAE Technical Paper 980517 1998
- Gerhardt , J. , Hönninger , H. , and Bischof , H. A New Approach to Functional and Software Structure for Engine Management Systems - BOSCH ME7 SAE Technical Paper 980801 1998
- Wu , Y.Y. , Chen , B.C. , Hsieh , F.C. , and Ke , C.T. A Study of the Characteristics of Fuel-Film Dynamics for Four-Stroke Small-Scale Spark-Ignition Engines SAE Technical Paper 2009-01-0591 2009
- An , P. , Teng , Q. , Cai , X.X. , and Zuo , C.J. Adaptive Prediction of Intake Manifold Absolute Pressure for a Coal-Bed Gas Engine The Ninth International Conference on Electronic Measurement and Instruments Beijing August 16 19 2009
- Arsie , I. , Pianese , C. , Rizzo , G. , and Cioffi , V. An Adaptive Estimator of Fuel Film Dynamics in the Intake Port of A Spark Ignition Engine Control Engineering Practice 11 303 309 2003
- Wu , Y.Y. , Chen , B.C. , and Hsieh , F.C. Modulization of four-stroke single-cylinder spark-ignition air-cooled engine models Proc. IMechE Part D: J. Automobile Engineering 221 1015 1026 2007
- Wu , Y.Y. , Chen , B.C. , Tsai , H.C. , and Hsieh , F.C. New Charging Model Using Variable Valve Train for HIL Simulation SAE Technical Paper 2011-01-1150 2011
- Kouremenos , D.A. , Rakopoulos , C.D. , Hountalas , D.T. , and Zannis , T.K. Development of a Detailed Friction Model to Predict Mechanical Losses at Elevated Maximum Combustion Pressures SAE Technical Paper 2003-01-0333 2003
- Yang , W.C. , Glidewell , J.M. , Tobler , W.E. , and Chui , G.K. Dynamic Modeling and Analysis of Automotive Multi-Port Electronic Fuel Delivery System Journal of Dynamic Systems, Measurement and Control, Transactions of the ASME 113 143 151 1991
- Åström , K.J. and Wittenmark B. Adaptive Control Addison-Wesley Massachusetts 1989
- Chui , C.K. and Chen , G. Kalman Filtering with Real-Time Application 4th Springer 2009