This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
The Effect of Modifying Throttle Body for Gas Injectors on Engine Performance and Emissions of SI Automotive Engine
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2013 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
This study was carried out to evaluate the variation in performance and emission characteristics of a multi cylinder Multi-point Fuel Injection (MPFI) automotive Spark Ignition (SI) engine after incorporating an additional manifold for gas injectors to throttle body. To install gas injectors for Compressed Natural Gas (CNG)/Hydrogen-CNG (HCNG) operation throttle body of the engine was modified using a novel manifold. The performance and emission characteristics of the existing throttle body and the new throttle body configuration were evaluated. The parameters studied were Manifold Air Pressure (MAP), Torque and Emissions (HC, CO, CO2, and NOx) for gasoline operation. The influence of installing new manifold on these parameters was evaluated. It was important to evaluate the degree of variation of the parameters on the gasoline operation so that the addition of new manifold for gas operation could be validated. The measurement was carried out at wide open throttle. There was negligible variation in power and torque characteristics for the new configurations. There was no significant change in the emission characteristics. The modified throttle body configuration demonstrated good overall performance.
CitationLather, R. and Das, L., "The Effect of Modifying Throttle Body for Gas Injectors on Engine Performance and Emissions of SI Automotive Engine," SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0057, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-26-0057.
- Das L M , Gulati Rohit and Gupta P K A Comparative Evaluation of the Performance Characteristics of a Spark Ignition Engine Using Hydrogen and Compressed Natural Gas as Alternative Fuels International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 25 2000 783 793
- Morrison Geoffrey M et al Hydrogen Transportation in Delhi? Investigating Thehydrogen-Compressed Natural Gas (H-CNG) Option International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 37 2012 644 654
- Aslam M U et al An Experimental Investigation of CNG as an Alternativefuel for a Retrofitted Gasoline Vehicle Fuel 85 2006 717 724
- Muthu Shanmugam , R. , Kankariya , N. , Honvault , J. , Srinivasan , L. et al. Performance and Emission Characterization of 1.2L MPI Engine with Multiple Fuels (E10, LPG and CNG) SAE Int. J. Fuels Lubr. 3 1 334 352 2010 10.4271/2010-01-0740
- Bysveen Marie Engine Characteristics of Emissions and Performance Usingmixtures of Natural Gas and Hydrogen International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 32 2007 482 489
- Norbeck Joseph et al Hydrogen Fuel for Surface Transportation First SAE Warrendale, Pa, USA 1996
- Mohammed Salah E L , Baharom M B and Aziz Rashid A A Analysis of Engine Characteristics and Emissions Fuelled Byin-Situ Mixing of Small Amount of Hydrogen in CNG International Journal of Hydrogen Energy 36 2011 4029 4037
- Thipse S S Alternative Fuels First Jaico Publishing House Mumbai, India 2010
- Heywood J B Internal Combustion Engines Fundamentals McGraw- Hill Inc. 1988