This content is not included in your SAE MOBILUS subscription, or you are not logged in.
Simulation, Design and Development of a High Frequency Corona Discharge Ignition System
ISSN: 0148-7191, e-ISSN: 2688-3627
Published January 09, 2013 by The Automotive Research Association of India in India
Annotation ability available
Depleting oil reserves and increasing concern over global warming caused by green house gases like carbon dioxide is driving efforts all over the world to improve fuel efficiencies of internal combustion engines. A method of achieving this in spark ignition engines is to use lean air-fuel mixtures. But for burning lean air-fuel mixtures the energy released by conventional spark ignition systems which produce a maximum voltage only of around 20000 V may not be sufficient. A corona discharge spark ignition is a method which can produce voltages as high as 100 kV which can ignite very lean air-fuel mixtures. The objective of this work is to numerically simulate the corona discharge in a point plane configuration and to investigate the applicability of corona discharge to automobile ignition systems. The domain for the simulation is chosen so as to match the engine cylinder and dimensions. The governing equations, namely the Poisson's equation and charge transport equation are solved using the finite difference method and the effect of pressure on corona discharge is studied. A circuit is designed and fabricated to provide high frequency voltages of the order of 30 kV and testing of the circuit is done in ambient conditions. The corona discharged produced was captured using Schlieren imaging method and the intensity of the spark was calculated by processing the captured image. The variation of spark intensity at different distances from the spark plug was compared with the electric field obtained from the simulation and was found to be in agreement.
CitationVarma, A. and Thomas, S., "Simulation, Design and Development of a High Frequency Corona Discharge Ignition System," SAE Technical Paper 2013-26-0014, 2013, https://doi.org/10.4271/2013-26-0014.
- Freen Paul D System and Method for Generating and Sustaining a Corona Electric Discharge for Igniting a Combustible Gaseous Mixture US Patent no. 6883507 B2 2005
- Freen Paul D Radio Frequency Electrostatic Ignition System Feasibility Demonstration Energy Innovations Small Grant Programme (EISG) 2003 2005
- Adamiak K and Atten P Simulation of Corona Discharge in Point-Plane Configuration Journal of Electrostatics 61 85 98 2004
- Atten P , Adamiak K , Khaddourc B and Coulomb J L Simulation of Corona Discharge in Configurations with a Sharp Electrode Journal of Optoelectronics and Advanced Materials 6 3 September 2004 1023 1028
- Deng X and Adamiak K A Numerical Algorithm for Simulation of the Electric Corona Discharge in the Triode System Engineering Analysis with Boundary Elements 23 1999 597 602
- Zhao L and Adamiak K Numerical Simulation of Corona Discharge in Compressed Gases with the Effect of EHD Flow Proc. ESA Annual Meeting on Electrostatics 2008
- Chang Jen-Shih , Lawless Phil A. , Yamamoto Toshiaki Corona Discharge Processes IEEE Transactions On Plasma Science 19 6 December 1991